Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worm under skin  (Read 2553 times)

detnol

• Joined Dec 2013
worm under skin
« on: December 16, 2013, 08:01:41 pm »
Today we slauthered 4 nine month old lambs. One had a worm under it's skin and in the skin a tiny hole. We have no blowflies in Slovakia and it is freezing cold. However lots of wild animals like deer and muflons (with parasites). Can anybody tell what this might be? Soon our flock will be treated with ivomec. Will this help? We have lots of land and rotate at least twice a week and therefor manage to deworm most animals only once yearly. We have frisianxlacaune. Please your advice. Tnx

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: worm under skin
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:28:43 pm »
Sounds like warble fly, not seen any since the 1970's  common in cattle but can occur in deer and it seems  sheep and people , organophosphate  pour -on   was I think the treatment   . you need to talk to a vet and do some research               Just been reading about a product call  phosnet which was used to eradicate warbles in the uk by 1990 , may  have lead to mad cow disease  :( :(
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:46:53 pm by shep53 »

detnol

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 12:05:46 pm »
warble flies while it is freezing cold? i will ask my vet, he will come as soon as we we cannot use our fields anymore (snow) and the flock will be brought home. I hope not till next year. it is strange it was the nicest and really good looking lamb we slaughtered.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 04:45:31 pm »
is warble the same as bots? that's the only thing I can think of.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 07:47:46 pm »
 Yes a type of bot fly ..       The very big fly lays eggs on the animals leg and the larvae then burrow under the skin in early summer , they then spend months moving upwards to end up on the back with a small breather hole, then in late winter/spring they burrow out fall on the ground and it all starts again .   The hole was the problem as it ruins the hide for manufacture . 

detnol

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 09:15:22 am »
Thanks, i just checked the little basterd in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warble_fly
and they recommend the use of Ivermectin exactly what we use for our goats and sheep every winter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivermectin
Thanks again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS