Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who needs a mineral lick?  (Read 4415 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Who needs a mineral lick?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 12:45:03 pm »
omg, thats amazing! lol

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 01:40:43 pm »
Yes I have seen that photo somewhere before...

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 02:56:33 pm »
Wow! Dam goats!
I really want to get some... I am pregnant, (due in summer) and have read that I can't be around sheep as there is a disease I could catch that's dangerous to me and or baby. Does anyone know if it can be transmitted by goats or am I safe with them? I had a friend of my husbands lined up offered me his orphaned lambs in the spring, but I've turned him down  :(  I'll have a go on google I guess. Doctor didn't know.

Edited to add: yes goats should be avoided, but it seems it's mostly new borns and the females giving birth rather than all animals. Will bring it up with OH again,  :thinking:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:07:06 pm by Steph Hen »

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 04:36:46 pm »
Wow! Dam goats!
I really want to get some... I am pregnant, (due in summer) and have read that I can't be around sheep as there is a disease I could catch that's dangerous to me and or baby. Does anyone know if it can be transmitted by goats or am I safe with them? I had a friend of my husbands lined up offered me his orphaned lambs in the spring, but I've turned him down  :(  I'll have a go on google I guess. Doctor didn't know.

Edited to add: yes goats should be avoided, but it seems it's mostly new borns and the females giving birth rather than all animals. Will bring it up with OH again,  :thinking:

id just wait - its not worth the risk. im sure its a type of chlamydia that sheep carry but can give humans a still birth/miscarriage, you usually contract it at lambing time.
I know pregnancy seems like a very long 9 mths but it does end eventually - I promise  ;D ;D

looks like those goats just need a skateboard    :roflanim: :roflanim:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 05:00:08 pm »
Omg

Congratulations steph hen
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 05:01:51 pm »
Just realised how that reads

The  omg was a reaction to the goats not stephs pregnancy
Mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 05:08:42 pm »
 :goat:  Wow that's just amazing, I wonder if any fall?
Congratulations Steph Hen, I agree with shygirl best to wait, the year that my daughter was pregnant we didn't lamb as I felt that it wasn't worth the risk.
Anne

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 10:20:53 pm »
I've seen it before but it is worth looking at again. Goats are incredible.

Congratulations, Steph. Summer will soon be here and then you can get your goats.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 12:15:32 pm »
Thanks guys   ;D. I will have to wait as OH is not convincible at present. I've only looked after goats here and there and really enjoyed them, there are so many overgrown areas here that would love to be eaten down... Yes will wait till summer! 

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 09:58:19 pm »
Catch him at the moment when he's all soppy about becoming a father and thinks you're wonderful for going through it all. That's preferably soon after giving birth and before he discovers sleepless nights.  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS