Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing  (Read 3894 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
Fencing
« on: March 25, 2008, 08:22:28 am »
Any tips on fencing. I am getting my two pigs on Friday. We made the pig ark this weekend - really proud of it!! My husband put the fence posts in this weekend - we may need to make the area bigger in a few months but we used all the posts we had. He is going to do the wire netting this afternoon. I thought I mig :-\ht add an electric wire around the inside say 9" high or so. Do you think this will be enough?
Karen

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Fencing
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 11:03:21 am »
We use three strand fencing for our pigs and if you are collecting weaners then I think sheep fencing or similar would be a good idea on the outside of the posts to stop them escaping.

In our experience electric fencing alone works for some but not others. The lure of the 'otherside' can be too tempting for a few of ours and they will willingly take the shock in order to get out.

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 11:36:50 am »
We only used electrics initially - again 3 strands ( the lower one has a tendancy to get covered in growth if not kept in check , and also can have earth "rooted" over it causing to shorting. our next batch however just dashed at it , although getting a zap , clearing it - so resorted to stock fencing also - this held them back long enough for the electrics to do their thing!!! so personally i would do both initially to save going back to re-do the work :D
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:05:34 pm »
Thanks that's really helful :)
Karen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS