Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling home produced meat at markets  (Read 4113 times)

rebeccabeau1

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Herefordshire
Selling home produced meat at markets
« on: December 16, 2013, 05:27:09 am »
I am currently thinking about selling my home produced pork at local markets. However I am wondering how most people store the meat to do this? Is it best to sell it fresh or frozen?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

:farmer: :pig:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Selling home produced meat at markets
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 07:25:59 am »
message happyhippy on here or i'm sure she'll find you, i know they sell there pork through a local farmers market.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 02:05:22 pm »
Hi,
First off you'll need to register with environmental health as a food producer and make sure your butcher is registered/inspected, you'll need to have thought about how you'll transport/store the meat to keep it at the right temperatures for selling and what you'll do with any that's left afterwards. And you'll need insurance to cover your 'product'.
We time it so our pig goes off the same week as we have a market on, we collect everything fresh on the day (cue 8am visit to the butcher and manic running around) and anything that's left gets frozen for our own use once home. I tend to sell a pigs' worth of meat plus extra sausages/burgers and bacon at one of our markets, but this will vary depending on your area/other producers doing the same thing.
If we've not got a market on we tend to get the butcher to blast freeze everything and just sell from the freezer.
HTH

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 04:54:47 pm »
speak to the eh before you do anything. they will have lots of practical tips. some areas are happy with ice packs - others want refrigerated vans - so speak to them and see what they advise, they aren't scary if you haven't been naughty.  :innocent:

rebeccabeau1

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 06:23:12 am »
Thanks everyone for your help  ;D
Greatly appreciated!

:farmer: :pig:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 10:22:53 pm »
your local EH officer should be glad to help, and they love it if you go to them and ask for advice before you start things, people that just go ahead without adhering to the rules etc get on their nerves..lol
If we have a slaughter the week of a market, we sell it fresh in a chilled display unit or frozen if we're between kills.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS