Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 1st duck egg  (Read 4254 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
1st duck egg
« on: December 15, 2013, 06:31:54 pm »
well that was a surprise, we have had the ducks a good 6 months now and they where 3 months old when we got them…. 1st egg this evening..beautiful grey/white black marble effect ..cayuga Ducks  :thumbsup:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: 1st duck egg
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 06:33:03 pm »
 :excited:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 06:37:50 pm »
I may try to incubate it seeing as they are duck and drake, and he has been doing a fair bit of mounting  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 06:44:39 pm »
The four ducks and drake I got from Cameron are scatty as a bunch of snooker balls - squawk like mad whenever i go near them.  They're still young - just 6 months I think, so no eggs expected, but I do wish they'd settle down.  Any ideas?  Have tried porridge with honey and they turn their beaks up!  No chance of hand feeding like my last little duck family (Curses on that fox!  :rant:)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 07:46:57 pm »
Congratulations on the first egg  :excited:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 09:46:01 am »
 :thumbsup: I've got Cayugas of a similar age but no eggs yet. Hold off incubating though - do you really want to hatch small fluffy ducklings in January? Also we had mounting last year but drake's fertility didn't seem to kick in until March time.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 09:55:50 am »
I remember the first quail/hen/goose eggs etc. I excitedly let my son collect them who then dropped them every single time... ::) ::) ::)

ha. the first ones are just amazing!

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 03:00:44 pm »
Good point hesterF…

the 2nd egg wasn't as nice looking today  :roflanim: a bit bland, i have let mother duck know this  :roflanim:

helen wants to bake a cake…thats ok, but i don't like cake and i know she will make a mess of my kitchen  ;D yes i do most of the cooking ….only because i do the best roast spuds  :innocent:

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 04:58:54 pm »
Unfortunately my 'pet' ducks have decided to join the wild ones on the pond and don't want to go into their house at night even for food, so I don't know whether I will ever knowingly have any eggs!! Any suggestions  :eyelashes:
Heather

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 06:07:18 pm »
The BEST cakes are made with duck eggs!  You'll love them , John. And why don't you clear up the kitchen if Helen has spent her time making you a lovely special cake  :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 09:29:33 pm »
Oh, they do make amazing cakes! You do have to try it.... :yum:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 09:33:00 pm »
my first ducks hardly ever laid eggs which was suprising as they were khazi campbells - then I realised the Labrador was snaffling every one.  :roflanim:

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 10:19:51 pm »
I too have just got a new pair of ducks...silver runners (thats what the show class ticket said!) I was not going to even look for eggs til spring but ????? The Quail have stopped at the moment and even the chooks are down to one every other day.

I usually have to wait untill February when the day length has increased a bit.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 10:21:37 am »
I wonder if there are area variations as well as seasonal ones?
My 2 quail hens have gone into overdrive - none for 2 months and now I'm getting an egg a day from both girls and quite often an extra one.  Only getting 2 a day from 6 hens but three of them are old.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 10:50:59 am »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS