Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What exactly is a slap mark  (Read 3162 times)

Pikeman

• Joined Mar 2013
What exactly is a slap mark
« on: December 15, 2013, 05:55:46 pm »
What is a slap mark on a pig that's used instead of ear tag?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: What exactly is a slap mark
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 09:38:02 pm »
It is basically a tattoo of your herd number made by "slapping" the pig on the shoulder with a device bearing the letters and numbers made up of pins that pierce the skin and tattoo the pig.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 10:08:11 pm »
its designed so their is an identification on the carcuss once the head is off. ie you can slap each shoulder and rump, and it will be visible after butchering etc.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 07:37:39 am »
I find it quite comforting to get my meat back and seeing the slapmark clearly so I know I am eating my own meat.
When you do the slapmark it often hardly shows through the hair and leaves you worrying that it hasn't taken properly but so far, a couple of abattoir trips later, things have always looked very good once butchered.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Pikeman

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 09:52:53 pm »
Thanks, is it difficult to do? I assume I need special equipment?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 10:12:16 pm »
have you tattoed before? its like a tattoo plate but instead of "stapling" it onto an ear, it is open and long-handled - so the metal teeth get covered in ink, then you whack the pig with it and the holes are pierced through the skin, then rub in more ink. try looking on utube, im sure there will be a demo somewhere.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 10:14:24 pm »
It isn't difficult to do but best done when they are eating. Then they hardly flinch.
You will need to buy a slap marking tool with your herd number on it and some dye. Paint the dye on the herd no and SLAP
The man I bought my first weaners from suggested we try it out on a plastic bag full of grass cuttings first to get the hang of it but he actually did a pig of his own to show us and then we felt confident enough without trying the grass bag.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS