Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Need advice on feeding dogs  (Read 3784 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Need advice on feeding dogs
« on: December 15, 2013, 03:44:29 pm »
Hi there,

Many of you know I recently got a Collie puppy who is 5 months old, I couldnt have wished for a better puppy and he is so well behaved and easy going, apart from some pretty hard nipping of the backs of my legs when in the field and sometimes when he is bored in the house..... and a need to walk around in circles around people if they split up he is perfect! :)

When I got him he was on food that I didnt like so I switched him to jameswellbeloved puppy and I switched him within 2 days as the breeder only gave me 2 days worth of food and I couldnt find it elsewhere.

His poop improved nearly straight away and he already smells better and coat is softer  :thumbsup:

However.... my other dog has gotten a little too thin now, the petshop lady said as he is nearly 9 he needs to be on senior food, and as he was overweight I switched him, the vet said it would be good to get him down to 10-11 kilo if I could so I didnt mind that he was loosing weight.

However his spine is now sticking out slightly and I can easily feel his ribs and the last two are sticking out, hip bones and shoulder bones all out aswel, however I have NO idea what he is meant to feel like as I dont know anyone else with the same breed/type, he weighs 9 kilo now

He is a shetland sheepdog but is 16 inches tall rather than being tiny and he is long legged, came from working dogs

Is old dog food meant for dogs that arent active? am I feeding him right?

Also ever since puppy arrived he craves the puppy food and refuses to eat his breakfast each morning as he wants the puppy food, he eats around half his supper, If I give him what puppy is on he eats it fine.

However I think maybe he is loosing too much weight on senior dog food and he could go on puppy anyway?

I have asked many people and they all say old dogs go on old dog food  ???

Please could someone shed some light on correct dog body condition scoring (sorry dont know what else to call it :p ) and what food Laddie should be on

Thankyou in advance  :wave:

Oh yeah and here are one or two photos of the boys :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:55:55 pm by Ladygrey »

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Need advice on feeding dogs
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 04:15:38 pm »
As a general rule a dog should have a visible waist line which curves slightly in after the ribs. The ribs should be felt as waves but not too much, just a little ripple  ;D then go back out slightly at the bum. The spine tips can be felt but not too prominent.
Senior food is lower calory as well as being gentler for the body to cope with so if your lad is very active still I'd opt for keeping him on the adult. He is only middle aged as a Sheltie of 9years compared to a GSD or other large breed so his body should cope with adult food with no problems. Puppy food is higher proteins etc to help with growing bones and bouncy puppies so not really suited to fully grown dogs.

What a pair of handsome lads you have  :love:  :dog:  :dog:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 04:22:45 pm »
Mammyshazs advice is spot on. Go by what you see, it may be you need to sometimes feed one and then the other for a period to keep the weight just right.

Lovely dogs :-))

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 06:33:23 pm »
Totally agree, senior is too low in calorie for an active dog.  My old girl is 12 and a half and still hunts fast and furious like the others, she'd never survive on senior.  Mine are on 18% protein ( Field & Trial)  Have been for a long tiem and are in excellent working condition (and show condition too)  The only extras they get is a Morning Primrose Oil capsule.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 08:04:45 pm »
As a general rule a dog should have a visible waist line which curves slightly in after the ribs. The ribs should be felt as waves but not too much, just a little ripple  ;D then go back out slightly at the bum. The spine tips can be felt but not too prominent.
Senior food is lower calory as well as being gentler for the body to cope with so if your lad is very active still I'd opt for keeping him on the adult. He is only middle aged as a Sheltie of 9years compared to a GSD or other large breed so his body should cope with adult food with no problems. Puppy food is higher proteins etc to help with growing bones and bouncy puppies so not really suited to fully grown dogs.

What a pair of handsome lads you have  :love:  :dog:  :dog:

Thankyou :)

Unfortunatly he is too hairy to tell visually unless I give him a bath  :thinking: I can feel his ribs nicely, his last two I think are sticking out, can feel his spine quiet well... I wouldnt want him to be any thinner than he is, he could be just right as he is now

Totally agree, senior is too low in calorie for an active dog.  My old girl is 12 and a half and still hunts fast and furious like the others, she'd never survive on senior.  Mine are on 18% protein ( Field & Trial)  Have been for a long tiem and are in excellent working condition (and show condition too)  The only extras they get is a Morning Primrose Oil capsule.

My puppy is on junior dog food, this is 24% protein, would I be able to put both dogs on that and then wean them onto adult together when puppy is old enough??

on an average lazy day we do around 1.5-2 hrs excersize outside, on an active/working day can be from 4 up to 6hrs, puppy doesnt do more than 4 hrs though

Thanks lachlan, Mammyshaz and doganjo :) :)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 08:56:04 pm »
eek! - 4 hours a day for a pup??  too much imho, although I have big breeds and am paranoid about hips.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 09:03:49 pm »
its not constant excerise :)

I am outside for that length a day and he can either walk or run or lie down during that time, following me around or playing with the other dog etc,  also its not 4 hours solid :)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 09:58:42 pm »
phew thats ok then :thumbsup:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

linda731

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 06:03:12 am »
dogs are very pretty and cute. :wave:

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 07:56:20 am »
Thankyou :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS