Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Shearer for very small flock  (Read 2743 times)

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Sheep Shearer for very small flock
« on: December 12, 2013, 08:55:41 am »
Please can someone advise how to find a sheep shearer or someone who perhaps shears sheep as a sideline.  We are ramping up our intent to start smallholding and are currently looking in area of Scotland but who knows where we will find our dream place :-)

Thanks,
Mickey

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Sheep Shearer for very small flock
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:46:53 am »
Try the singing shearer, or better still get on the British wool board course and learn to do it yourself, other than that see if you can piggy back on to a local farmer when the contract lads come round

I know the likes of George Mudge down in Devon keep a list if shearers, I used to be on it, British wool board might be able to help also

I'd offer myself, but your too far away and my shoulder isn't upto it anymore, seriously considering selling one of my machines at the moment

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:57:36 am »
I think you've got 4 choices
1) as stated already, learn to do it yourself- though I've always resisted this back wrecking option !
2) Go for a hair sheep such as a Wilts Horn which self sheds. we started like this and although we still have mainly Wilts we have cross bred and ended up with some that need shearing. which lead to 3 and 4
3) there are shearers that will advertise for small flocks- I'm sure I've even seen some on here. the plus is of course that you have control to some degree over when you get them sheared. downside is its likely to cost a bit more if the shearer is travelling out just to do yours.
4) my favoured option for shearing and so much else is to get friendly with the big sheep farmer up the road. we now get his shearer popping down to do our few after he's finished with him. tends to be cheaper but on the downside less control over when they're done. Having a proper sheep farmer mate is handy in a thousand different ways. as someone who doesn't like getting some thing for nothing I'll go and give him a hand now and then just to balance the relationship, but for meds, advice, trailers and lots more he's a god send

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 03:54:29 pm »
Thanks everyone for those helpful replies, not got the sheep as yet but plans are afoot :-)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 05:52:23 pm »
I find hand shearing up to about 6 sheep a pleasure, from 6-12 ok and over 12 a bit tough. On the other hand its very good in poor weather as you aren't shaving right to the skin like machine shearing so the sheep appreciate that, and the shears are £12 ish compared with several hundred for electric ones or £40 upwards for a shearer.

I have the two ends of the spectrum. The Shetlands, ESP the white and moorits, I make more from the wool board than they cost to pay the shearer. But the Herdwicks I've recently taken on,,,,well, think i may be using theirs for hanging baskets or protecting brassicas from slugs, or selling privately as thei rate for them is a tenth of that per kilo than for the Shetlands!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:07:15 am by lachlanandmarcus »

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 12:11:58 pm »
Thanks for that, much appreciate your thoughts.

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 11:01:45 pm »
Devon lad with the wiltshire horns how do u go about sending the wool off then? & here's a current price list for various wools of different breeds from the wool board:

http://www.britishwool.org.uk/priceschedule.asp?pageid=50

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 12:14:41 am »
The wilts horn wool litters the field for a week like white candy floss and then dissolves away Like magic.Fleeces from the others go in labelled sacks to the wool board

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS