Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what can you do with a 750kg trailer?  (Read 11616 times)

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
what can you do with a 750kg trailer?
« on: December 12, 2013, 12:44:24 pm »
As I've only just gotten my UK driving license :relief: it seems I am only allowed to tow a trailer up to 750kg.  After googling around a bit it looks like that might be enough to transport small numbers of small livestock?  I expect I'll need to do the test so I can tow a proper stock trailer but I don't think I'll plan to get anything larger than a Ryeland in my first year, so maybe I can put it off a bit?  Advice much appreciated, it would be good to know if I need to make this a high priority :thinking:
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
Re: what can you do with a 750kg trailer?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 12:50:47 pm »
I'm no expert on this but does that 750kg figure include the weight of the trailer itself?

We only recently bought a new trailer (IW 8g) and made sure it was towable by our Subaru Forester which is only rated for towing up to less than 2 tonnes.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 12:55:48 pm »
yup that limit includes the trailer, your also limited to unbraked and single axle...

small stock trailers still fit this category well enough, you just have to be careful when shopping around.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 02:36:35 pm »
glad to hear it, thanks bloomer.  I'll probably need a different car to tow anything larger anyway, so it's a relief if I can put that off for a bit :)
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 03:30:11 pm »
i only know as i'm old enough to tow anything within reason but mrs b. has the same license type as you...

good luck

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 03:52:11 pm »
That will be like an Ifor Williams P6e or P7e, which are unbraked single axle, 750kg max.  They weigh about 250kg so that gives you half a tonne of payload.  You can squeeze a fair number of sheep or pigs into one of those.
It all depends on what your long term plans are as to whether you want to fork out for a small trailer now, or wait and save up for a larger one once you have passed the necessary test.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 04:04:11 pm »
That will be like an Ifor Williams P6e or P7e, which are unbraked single axle, 750kg max.  They weigh about 250kg so that gives you half a tonne of payload.  You can squeeze a fair number of sheep or pigs into one of those.
It all depends on what your long term plans are as to whether you want to fork out for a small trailer now, or wait and save up for a larger one once you have passed the necessary test.

Much thanks foobar, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear  :thumbsup:  I think I'll look for a used one of the models you suggest, or similar, since I'm only planning for a small number of sheep in 2014, and then I can work on the test with less pressure.  Super helpful.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 04:29:29 pm »
Foobar's right.

If you do get the P6e or P7e, get the big chunky "flotation" tyres. They help loads for going in and out of fields. Though I do have a license to tow a bigger trailer, we found that the cost jump up to a braked trailer was too much, so just bought an unbraked one.

I've missed having the ability to tow a builders bag or sheet of plywood laid flat, but that's about it so far. It's certainly big enough for plenty of sheep!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 04:37:51 pm »
mr womble, if you ever need one my trailer does both of the listed tasks and i'm not far away :-)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 07:29:10 pm »
Thanks Bloomer. Likewise, if you ever need some sheep moving.....   ;)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 09:47:02 am »
Also, learning to reverse a single-axle trailer first will mean that you will find reversing a bigger trailer really easy.  Single-axle trailers wiggle like crazy and are super sensitive when you reverse, so it's all excellent practice :).

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 05:56:50 pm »
You can also take a well mannered shetland pony to pony club in one of those wee trailers, you just get funny looks at the other end! I had my trailer test booked for in August, but it ended up being the same day as my father in laws funeral and had to cancel, waiting for better weather/light to book again.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 11:15:31 pm »
I looked into this a few years ago and, unless things have changed, you are allowed to go beyond 750kg. The trailer must at that point be braked, and the real limit is 1750kg- but (and this is the important bit) the trailer must weigh no more than the towing vehicle, and the combined total must be within 3500kg. Hence the resulting limit of 1750kg.
It's a really messy system!!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 11:32:57 pm »
that info is wrong for people born from around 1981/1982 (not sure of exact date) you can't tow anything over 750kg without taking an additional test...

pre those dates you can tow anything the vehicle can legally pull.

I can get in a 3.5 ton van with a 3 ton trailer on the back and i'm fine, mrs b is younger than me and cant drive the same vehicles on her license.

the categories on the license are different...

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 10:01:39 am »
I looked into this a few years ago and, unless things have changed, you are allowed to go beyond 750kg. The trailer must at that point be braked, and the real limit is 1750kg- but (and this is the important bit) the trailer must weigh no more than the towing vehicle, and the combined total must be within 3500kg. Hence the resulting limit of 1750kg.
It's a really messy system!!

Things did change, I think it was very recently too, just in the last year or so.  I was born long before 1980 ;) but since I'm an immigrant to the UK my UK driving license is shiny and new (and my insurance is awful :P).  So I think people who got their license more than a few years ago are all fine, but people who are just now getting their first license get the 750kg limit, and have to take another test to have it lifted.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS