Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sick chicken please help?  (Read 2094 times)

luke82

• Joined Aug 2009
sick chicken please help?
« on: August 24, 2009, 10:40:14 pm »
I have 8 ex-"free Range" chickens (I say free range but actually after picking them up and going into the barn they eat, drink, roost and lay in i'm a bit sceptical of the conditions commercial "free range" chickens live in) anyway since getting them one had really dirty feathers around her vent I thought it would clean up not living in a barn with 2000 other hens, after a few weeks it didn't clean up so I washed her with a hose and broke up the dirt on the feathers but they just got dirty within a few days so I cut all the feathers away around her vent I have now noticed a white sometimes clear discharge running out of her vent which I assume was making her feathers wet then they'd pick up dirt as she rolled around in her dust bath.  She also layed an egg with a soft shell with white sticky discharge on it other than that she seems very healthy.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Luke 
 :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: sick chicken please help?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 10:49:05 pm »
Sorry, I don't really know much about chicken diseases but this may help. 

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS044

If you do a 'find' on the word vent and then a highlight you can pick up the diseases that affect discharge from the vent. You'll also pick up words like prevent etc but you can scroll through fairly quickly of they are highlighted.

Other than that Rosemary is your best bet!  Good luck

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: sick chicken please help?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 11:00:38 pm »
Google a condition called Gleet. Without seeing the bird, I couldn't say for sure. :chook:

There you go.

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Cloacitis.html
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 11:02:19 pm by Over the Gate »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS