Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: old caravan as hen house  (Read 4737 times)

linseal

• Joined Aug 2009
old caravan as hen house
« on: August 24, 2009, 10:13:28 pm »
what do I need to do to convert an old caravan into a hen house?
can the hens run around outside and then be locked away at night?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: old caravan as hen house
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 10:33:23 pm »
A secure skylight!  And an easily cleaned floor!  Remove as much as possible ie furniture cos it will get filthy,and damaged and hold all kinds of nasties.  Secure the windows (we have chicken wired our sheds windows And can remove the panes for ventilation.)
Disconnect all gas, electric cos theyll peck.
Make sure they can get in and out easily (a little ladder or ramp with slats on it to stop them slipping)
They will need some roosting bars at least a few inches off the floor and a dark quiet corner for a nesting box (Old drawer is perfect)

\\yes, they should be locked away at night cos of foxes, rats and dogs, is your 'outside' secure as well?

Its a great idea, and you can at least stand upright in it yourself!
Little Blue

linseal

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 11:01:32 pm »
Thanks for those tips, didn't even think of the skylight! the outside is not secure, wooden fence to field and then hedgerow to other side, I suppose they will just walk off if I don't fence them in!  Very new to this so really don't have a clue, do you have a fox proof run attached to the hen house?  Then perhaps a general secure area for daytime roaming? any tips very welcome.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 11:05:38 pm »
Fox proof run sounds good - but making something fox proof is a difficult one - heard of the 'wily old fox'  Dig chicken wire down into the ground so he can't dig under the run, make sure it is covered over and all joins totally sealed.  If you have such a run it means you can get away and leave them safe for a time, and other folk can look after them safely too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 11:21:00 pm »
The double skinned wall can be a bit of a liability where vermin is concerned, but if its cheap, why not ? :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 11:24:25 pm »
find a gap between the walls and put rat poison in then seal back up again - or in the cupboards but make sure they are well sealed
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS