Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ravens  (Read 2980 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Ravens
« on: May 08, 2013, 11:43:27 am »
There has been a real commotion in our field all morning. There are 3 Ravens "hanging about". They are sitting in the trees bordering our land (woodland) and appear to be fighting too. Even rolling about in the stream  ::) .

The ewes are very uneasy. They have their lambs all together in the corner of the field and have circled them. They are watching the "goings on" closely. As far as I can tell the ravens aren't interfering with the sheep.

Are they a potential hazard to the lambs? Seen them around before but not staying so much in this one spot. :o

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Ravens
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 12:16:31 pm »
All corvids love to peck out the eyes of lambs and sheep, tongues too.  A raven is possibly big enough to take a small lamb.

Are you sure it's 3 ravens and not 2 parent ravens and a marauding buzzard being taught a lesson? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 12:28:22 pm »
Plenty of ravens here  ,not a problem unless the ewe is cast or having problems lambing , then they take the lambs eyes and tongue

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 05:12:52 pm »
They'll have a go at anus, tongue and navel too and leave something that you have no choice but to dispatch.  Recommend loud bangs, CDs hung up from branches on cotton threads and constant vigilance.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 05:31:38 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

SITN - 3 ravens. Often seen them having a skirmish with the local buzzards but in this case it was one another. Maybe territorial or did wonder if they were fighting over afterbirth or similar seeing that we lambed outside. Decided to send my son out with his air rifle after your post. Clever things because me shouting and flapping didn't send them far but they soon moved off once he went out.  ::)

Thanks MF - got some old CD's so will string some around edge of the field.

My Soay twins born a couple of days ago are still tiny so will listen out.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 08:45:10 pm »
We have them strip the ends of lambs tails last year, unfortunately our breed (Zwartbles) have to have a full tail with a white tip, so a paiin when they take the white tip of an otherwise perfectly marked lamb, haven't had them cause any other problems though, but could probably be a worry if we lambed outside though.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 09:16:02 pm »
Took a walk in the wood behind my field tonight. Discovered their nest is high in an oak in the middle of the wood.  :(

All my ewes have lambed now, so just hope they leave the lambs alone.

Is it just ill/weak lambs that they go for?

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 09:18:09 pm »
I have known them go for a sleeping lamb.

get a local rifle man to shoot them

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 08:16:56 am »
I have known them go for a sleeping lamb.

get a local rifle man to shoot them

But check they have a licence first.

petectid

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 01:19:35 pm »
As Dan states to shoot a Raven you need a licence issued under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.  Permission will only be given if the Government deems it appropriate.  They cannot be shot under general licence.  Your Ravens are a protected species like the Buzzard and other raptors, so you could end up in very deep water if you take action outside of the law.  And I'm sure nobody on here wants to get into that sort of trouble.  We just have to do everything possible to avert such attacks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS