Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jesus the Pig  (Read 2547 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Jesus the Pig
« on: August 26, 2009, 08:58:30 pm »
One of the youngsters that helps us out at the weekend works on a large farm in St Andrews. On the farm they raise some rare breeds etc but he told me a story tonight that made me laugh. Yesterday morning they discovered this fairly new born piglet wandering around. They have only 1 pig that they though was pregnant but she had no milk and showed no signs of having had just 1 baby. There was no afterbirth or anything so they were left puzzled. The wanted to call the piglet Jesus as it was the immaculate conception but decided it would be politically incorrect to do so, it made me laugh any how.

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
Re: Jesus the Pig
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 09:14:18 pm »
How strange - even if the mother had eaten the other piglets & afterbirth, she should have had milk !! So I'm with the Jesus naming  ;D or maybe JC so not so obviously non PC.

Do hope the piglet is doing ok  ;) :pig:
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 09:19:51 pm »
hehe, Could some one have dumped the piglet ?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 09:21:46 pm »
I dunno, he never went any further with the story but does look possible. They named piglet "Willow" instead of Jesus.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 10:23:41 pm »
How weird is that!  I hope the piglet survives.  Sounds like a Mummy pig that didn't want to be a Mummy pig and had a huge breakfast before they came to feed her, one last piglet was just one too many! :o ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 01:25:58 am »
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio (doganjo)
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.  ;D

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 08:41:22 am »
Willow is doing well being hand reared. Garreth says there is no one in the area that has the same type of pigs so it is unlikely the thing was "dumped". They definately have 1 that is pregnent and he says the piglet was so tiny they are actually wondering if he just "fell out" early, is this possible?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 11:50:43 am »
No idea, although I have often wondered at what point premature piglets would be viable.  I am positive that Hilary had a litter 2 weeks early last year. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 01:38:12 pm »
Willow is doing well being hand reared. Garreth says there is no one in the area that has the same type of pigs so it is unlikely the thing was "dumped". They definately have 1 that is pregnent and he says the piglet was so tiny they are actually wondering if he just "fell out" early, is this possible?

Cats can have two separate litters if mated by two males - but they aren't usually more than 12 to 15 hours apart.  I would have thought it unlikely, but have they asked their vet?  I take it it's the same breed as their own?  I suppose if there is no other explanation that is what must have happened in which case he is a very lucky little Piglet
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS