Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ryelands  (Read 14840 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Ryelands
« on: December 07, 2013, 08:39:46 pm »
What are the pros and cons of them ? bearing in mind we live out in the wilds with serious weather in winter
Trish keeps looking at them in Fields and would like a few but don't know anything about them.
we do have  lamb chop, cassie casserole and Stewie stew who will be here for life  but really would like to go down a pure breed route and Ryelands seem too be a one that attracts us
Graham

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Ryelands
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 09:12:01 pm »
Well here goes, Ryelands stupid thick slow sheep with poor maternal instinct but that's my personal opinion based on my practical experience of keeping a few for a very short time as I got shot of them very very quickly. Compared to my Shetlands well there is no comparison. Full of character fantastic mothering instinct and very hardy and so many colour varieties  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :farmer: .
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 09:18:34 pm »
I do like shetlands but they are very low on our list, Trish wants something with that Ryland look  ::)
Graham

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 11:11:46 pm »
If getting Ryelands don't cross them with (not that you would I'm sure!) , the Herdwicks I acquired look lovely but the Rye cross offspring they came with are not blessed with beauty in the looks department!!! Like a jumper that's too tight and a big nose. They remind me of , is it, Smiffy from the Beano. Still their mums love them and I'm sure the two of three who are boys will taste delicious next summer :-DD as to the sole female anyone want a Ryeland x Herdwick gimmer next year? :-DDD :excited:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 12:41:24 am »
If you want the 'Ryeland look', what about Southdown?  I would certainly use a SD tup on my 'fleece flock' for lovely fleeces  :spin: :knit: and a good commercial lamb.  And we've talked about using one on our first-timer commercial ewes too - the fleece improvement  :spin: :knit: would be an added bonus of course  :innocent: - but there weren't (m)any about hereabouts  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 12:50:03 am »
My Shetland x Ryeland ewes have proved to be fantastic mums - easy twin lambing, milk like Friesians :cow: ::) , good natured and live on fresh air.  Lovely spinning fleece and beautiful sheepskin rugs, meat is delicious.  Can't ask for more although they will never win any show prizes :love: .

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 06:28:31 am »
We've had Ryelands since 2007. They are docile, charming and friendly sheep. We've never had big issues at lambing although they are not as easy as the Shetland or other primitives, but they are so easy to handle, it isn't a chore. Never had a problem with poor mothering and they have always done their lambs well, apart from one gimmer who's twins needed topping up.

Good fleece, beautiul lamb; tup lambs away by six months off grass.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 07:27:35 am »
Our neighbours' ten year old daughter has Ryelands, we are in fairly rough country and they seem to do well, Emma can handle them herself, and although I personally am not keen on the look of them, they always handle brilliantly - much more solid and fleshier than they look.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 09:07:50 am »
I have Ryelands and love them. As Rosemary has said they are docile and mine would have no intention of jumping a fence (too much like hard work for them  ;D )

We had lambs for the first time this year and my girls were very good mothers.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 12:59:21 pm »
Just make sure your shearer knows what to expect.... there have a mighty fleece on them and it's everywhere...

I am not sure I would keep them out in the Northumbrian wilds...

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 03:13:31 pm »
Well we have been to visit today and we have had a long chat with the owner who is a breed member who also lives in the wilds of Northumberland   ::) . She has kept them for many years and after seeing our setup and the fact they also have a stable in the field for shelter we have reserved 4 ewes and will collect them in the next couple of weeks
Graham

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 03:31:09 pm »
I wish you the best of luck with your Ryelands.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 03:58:09 pm »
Graham, I don't think you will be disappointed  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 04:18:46 pm »
I am sooooo very envious!  :huff: look forward to seeing some piccies when they arrive  :sunshine:

Pipsa

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 04:57:18 pm »
Ryelands are very docile, easy to move around, they come to you for strokes ... I have had one Ryeland ewe - unfortunately she wasn't a good mother - she just walked off and left me deal with her lamb! But otherwise
nice, friendly teddy bear looking sheep(:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS