Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My first egg!!!  (Read 2077 times)

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
My first egg!!!
« on: August 24, 2009, 03:17:52 pm »
Got my first egg yesterday!!  It was tiny but at least my girls have copped on to what they are meant to be doing!!  I was delighted with my find, after checking for so long and getting nothing I got quite a surprise.  Not sure if I got one this morning as I let them out about 6.30am (working in the office today  :P) so I had instructed my OH to check today. 

Not sure if it had anyhing with my lambs being sent off "on holidays".  Maybe they were thinking look at what happened to them when they weren't laying any eggs, we had better get on our bikes and start producing!! 
  :chook: 

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: My first egg!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 04:13:55 pm »
Getting that first egg is exciting, my OH kept our first one for ages as he was so pleased that the girls had started laying. ;D :chook:

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 04:25:15 pm »
I gave it to my father in law.  He is 75 years old and has been a great help around the farm.  He loves helping out as he used to work with one of his other sons in the building game but of course that is gone now so he was just left at home moping about the house.  I then included him in a lot of what was going on (I knew he would love it but I think he wanted to be invited to help instead of just barging in on us) so he was also delighted to hear we are now getting our eggs.  His mother used to have about 100 laying hens when he was a young boy and he is delighted that we are doing it again (albeit on a much smaller scale!). 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 06:42:44 pm »
Congratulations!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 07:15:34 pm »
We wated and waited for our first egg - the girls were about 24 weeks and we were told they might lay at 18wks.
Then 2 came along at once, we photographed them after boiling and shared them between 3 of us!
Congratulations Kerrygirl its a brilliant feeling!
Little Blue

QWOLF

• Joined May 2009
  • DOLLAR
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 08:45:19 am »
Happy dayz
lets hope its a short winter and next year all ur eggs are large tasty eggs mmmmmmm, the chooks i have at the moment wont lay to much this year as there are 3 pol and 4 at about18 weeks the noo, so i am waiting on my first egg? but already looking forward to next years eggs. might get another 3 pol when next down at lanark sale in october.
Currently haved 3 x 5 months old peking bantams,2 x isa brown, 1 x welsummer and 5 welsummer chicks and thats me at my full quota, their great fun and i think everybody should keep a couple of chooks as there great and the eggs are a bonus  LOL

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 11:07:36 am »
6 waiting for you here for 1pm today, Jock!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS