Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 4684 times)

MrPiggy

• Joined Mar 2008
Hello everyone
« on: March 24, 2008, 10:07:02 am »
I am an Aussie living the UK. I want to start a pig farm in The Philippines. I have about 3 acres of land there. This will be a complete lifestyle change for me.The pigs will be raised for meat and I want to do everything properly so that they have an easy pleasant lifestyle. I need to learn so much . Any help I can get here will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Liam.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 11:00:18 am »
Hi Liam - you will find a lovely piggie community on here both breeders and those just growing weaners on for meat.  There is already lots of info to draw on but ask away and we will all do our best to help.

Let us know what pigglies you choose for your stock - looking forward to reading your posts.

Welcome!

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 02:03:11 pm »
Please consider exporting pedigree stock for your venture, BPA will be delighted to offer all the help they can.

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 04:10:25 pm »
Hello from me too

Carole

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 06:40:45 pm »
Hi, Liam

Welcome to the TAS forums - lots of knowledgeable people here. We'll look forward to hearing of your adventures too.

mad dogs and us two

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Nr St Hilaire
    • La Croix Bourge
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 07:26:33 pm »
Hello from us too!

Ain't life grand!

MrPiggy

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 07:47:24 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome. There is soooo much I need to know before I start my new piggy venture in The Phils.I am finding it very difficult to obtain information from Philippines based websites, however I know that regulations there will be very lax compared to here. The welfare of my stock will be paramount, so I want to do everything properly and responsibly. I really am not sure what breed to start with. Pigs in The Philippines are all used for pork. Most bacon is imported from Canada. I intend to have pens constructed in concrete, and will have large ' grazing', roaming areas also.

Ideally I would like to visit a pig farm here. I live in Essex not far from Stansted Airport. I have ordered some publications to study. Are there any monthly magazines, newspapers on pig farming available?

I won't bombard you with more questions, even though there are many. Thanks in adance, Liam

rustyme

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 07:58:21 pm »
Hello Liam,
              I don't know if you have seen this site already but here is the link:

http://www.wattnet.com/pigi/home.cfm?

You can get a hard copy sent to you for free, or just read the online digital edition. It is mainly for the big more industry type pig farming , but that seems to be what you are going to set up anyway.....There should be something useful on there for you , plus it will keep you upto date on all things pig production wise...

cheers

Russ

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 07:58:42 am »
Hi this is a very long lead but ...

On the sausage maker site there is a chap who lives in the Philipines who breeds (I think) pigs and who is a mine of information.

Best to try following the link and putting a posting on there.  They are a friendly crowd, passionate about pigs and pork products.  Even if you dont find the chap, you will go away with a mass of recipe ideas.

HM

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS