Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goose or Geese wanted  (Read 2758 times)

ileach

• Joined Apr 2008
Goose or Geese wanted
« on: December 05, 2013, 03:04:22 pm »
Unfortunately after last nights gales my male goose died, so his female mate is lonely and wandering about. Does anyone have a spare male or female please to ease this broken heart. Thanks. Will pick up within reasonable distance of Stirling area. Thanks

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Goose or Geese wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 05:52:59 pm »
I have a 3 year old Steinbacher gander I'm looking to rehome, since I believe him to be infertile and have bought a replacement. He would make a companion, he's pretty and not aggressive.

I'm in Cumbria though, so maybe too far away?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 04:50:02 pm »
I'm pretty sure one of our goslings from this summer is a gander, and hence would be surplus to requirements. Let me have a better look in the daylight to see if I can figure him/her out, and I'll get back to you (We're only a few miles from Stirling).

Has anybody got any hints on how to be sure of the sex of a teenage goose?  The best I've observed so far is that in yachting terms, ganders seem to have bilge keels, whereas geese have fin keels, but surely there's a better way to tell!?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 12:36:56 pm »
Ganders have much thicker necks in general

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 07:50:10 pm »
The one on watch when the others are sleeping?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 08:59:42 pm »
Hmmmm, no discernable difference in neck thickness that I could make out. Oh, and they were all asleep when I checked just now, and then all woke up simultaneously when I shone the torch at them!

Anyhow Ileach, if you would like a probable embden gander who may yet surprise us all and lay eggs, do get in touch!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS