Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone heard of Berrichon sheep fleeces?  (Read 2097 times)

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
Anyone heard of Berrichon sheep fleeces?
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:43:13 pm »
And more importantly, how does it do for spinning/knitting??  :spin:/ :knit:

I work in a farm animal vet practice and one of our clients has Berrichon sheep - they are a French breed which originally was selected from Merino.
I had to clip a strip off their necks yesterday for blood sampling and the fleece that came off was gorgeous!! Really soft, with great crimp and good staple length even though we are only in early Dec.

What are the opinions out there? The guy said I can have some at next shearing!

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
Re: Anyone heard of Berrichon sheep fleeces?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 08:25:59 am »
I had a quick look around the spinning sites but there's not much info re fleece apart from it being called a medium, tight, fine fleece. Further digging round the breed society lists came up with the info that it has a fineness of 26.5 to 30 microns. Sounds rather nice actually, especially if your particular sheep fleece has a longer than average staple length. I don't mind spinning short fine stapled fleece at all and it gives a lovely bouncy yarn but there's no denying that the more fibre ends you have, the more the resulting yarn will prickle for a given fineness. So if you have access to a lot of this stuff be really fussy and use the longest sections. As to what kind of draw to use and what thickness well, I'd experiment. I'd probably start with one of the longer extended draws rather than a worsted draw but I really don't know tbh, I've never spun this particular fleece.

But just because a sheep breed is a meat breed it doesn't mean it hasn't got a good spinnable fleece, it possibly just means the spinning tradition locally was dying out by the time this particular breed evolved and that the fleece was seen purely as a by product. Having said that you'd think any sheep developed from the merino would be at least partially aimed at fleece production, it might be that it just hasn't been readily available to modern  hand spinners. So definitely give it a go and report back. I for one would be interested to know more.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Anyone heard of Berrichon sheep fleeces?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 10:02:18 am »
Oooh yes, do keep us posted - I know someone uses Berrichon on Swaledales in the Lakes...  :thinking:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS