Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Out of condition ewe  (Read 5547 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
Out of condition ewe
« on: August 24, 2009, 01:06:06 pm »
Any help or ideas welcome

In the spring I bought 4 ewes with lambs at foot. All ewes are around 2/3 years old. After shearing it was apparant that one was not in great condition. It's fleece is dry, it has slightly flakey ears and it is pretty skinny even though the lambs are weaned. Otherwise it seems in good health. I though that maybe in needed working but I have sent samples away for a worm count and all ewes are low. I'm struggling to think what else it may be.

Any ideas?
 ???

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Out of condition ewe
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 01:35:04 pm »
do you have vit licks.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:13:17 pm »
not using any at the moment, was thinking of getting some on the lead up to tupping. Would have thought all 4 would show signs if there is a deficiency?

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 04:27:38 pm »
If its only one that you have a problem with it is unlikely to be a nutritional problem. Also at this time of year, dietary requirements are pretty small.

Have a look at her teeth - not just the front ones. Look at the back ones too. If they are sharp they will be lacerating the inside of her cheeks so she will struggle. Not really any remedy for this except getting rid.

Also it is possible she could be flukey - if you are in a damp place you may need to dose for liver fluke routinely during late summer, especially if the weather has been wet with you.

Those are the first things to check, but really it could be a million and one things! She might just be a poor do-er
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 01:13:14 pm »
Definately get a mineral block, are you feeding her apart from grass? Worth getting plenty of grub inside her, mine were all pretty poor after weaning and our grass is awful this year, I have been feeding ewe mix and hay for a while now and they have come on nicely.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 03:07:29 pm »
thanks Dixie, problem is that the other 3 are on great condition so I doubt there is a mineral deficiency or a need for supplementary feed. I have them on tight grazing at the moment leading up to flushing when I will add a lick

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 04:54:14 pm »
Different animals react differently within the same breed or species - there may be a need in her that the others don't have.  My four dogs don't always need exactly the same feeding
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Unicorn

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 05:25:04 pm »
I would say it is most likely that she has fluke, treat her for it and give her some
porridge made with milk, for the next couple of days, if you can.

Also a local farmer told us, and swears by, pulling some ivy down, and the sick sheep will
eat it and it fixes them.  Green ivy like the stuff that climbs up trees and telegraph poles.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 08:11:30 am »
Okay, thanks. What do you normally use to treat fluke?

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 09:29:56 pm »
Your local farm suppliers should have something to treat for fluke,  there are also branded wormers that have fluke teatments in.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Unicorn

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 11:09:20 pm »
Sorry for delay in getting back to you Shrek

We use

Janssen Flukiver Fluke Drench for Sheep - 1ltr

1ml of Flukiver per 5kg bodyweight. Use orally as a drench using standard equipment.
Animals must not be slaughtered for human consumption during treatment. ...
www.farmrite.co.uk/product.ds2?p=103002 - Cached - Similar

I would do them all at the same time
good luck

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 09:05:56 pm »
Thanks Unicorn

Took dog to vet today. Mentioned ewe (not you!) and she had no idea what it could be. Unlikely to be Fluke if not in wet area and without a blood test (around £100) she had no other advice.

Will just keep an eye on it I think

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS