Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Storm  (Read 24363 times)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Storm
« on: December 05, 2013, 06:13:22 am »
4:30 wake up call ! Thunder and lightening, Poppy the jack russell  has decided to tell everyone by running up and down barking  ::) Not had it like this before, lighting up the sky. Oh well time for another cup of tea before
surveying any damage ! Hope everyone on the west coast is safe and sound  :fc:

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
Re: Storm
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 06:30:58 am »
Its rattling the roof tiles down here on the Pennines in West Yorkshire.
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 06:37:56 am »
Thunder and lightening here - right over us, very noisy - hope it moves off before I get well wrapped up and check the sheep - how many layers can I get on at once?
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 06:52:49 am »
 Its pretty horrid and scary here on my Aberdeenshire hill side. Cant imagine there wont be damage, i heard a worrying bang/thud a bit ago and im sure we must be losing slates :-( hate gales!!!!!!!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 06:53:45 am »
central scotland, our house is at the top of a hill and catches the wind easily, stupid builders...

our house was shaking in the wind this morning, me and mrs b up stupid early as our roomtakes the brunt of it...

kids still asleep, expecting some loose tiles hopefully nothing else,

its still disgusting out there...

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 07:42:35 am »
My son is currently bobbing about on supply boat off Peterhead. Hope he's taking anti sick pills :o

Brucklay and lachlanandmarcus, he is nearer you than me so regular updates please.

Mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 07:52:15 am »
It sounds nasty up there. Hope you all keep safe and sound  :fc:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 07:55:52 am »
Very sleepless night with noise from the wind. We did have some lightening, don't know about thunder couldn't hear it over the wind. To dark still to see if there is any damage. My chickens aren't getting let out yet. 

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 08:12:57 am »
My son is currently bobbing about on supply boat off Peterhead. Hope he's taking anti sick pills :o

Brucklay and lachlanandmarcus, he is nearer you than me so regular updates please.

Mojo

Local radio not reporting any issues re offshore (one platform was evacuated before the storm tho). I think it's generally ok on boats out at sea (tho not at all fun), the ones tied up are more at risk.

We've lost a portakabin roof, can't check the house one yet. All my outdoor round bale hay has been soaked as the tarp is gone. Can't see what else yet....

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 08:27:13 am »
We've had rain and it's been windy (still is) but I think we've missed the worst. Just waiting for full light to go out and see what's what.

Doesn't seem so scary in daylight.

Hope everyone is OK

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 09:17:56 am »
Horrid here too, one of the chimney stacks is off our house, a few slates gone, and the end of the pig ark.  Think that's it so far.

Keep safe, everyone.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 09:28:25 am »
It sounds really horrid further north. I hope you all keep safe and don't sustain too much damage. I shall be thinking positive thoughts for you all.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 09:35:21 am »
hope none of you up North had too much bad damage and that everyone and their animals are all safe.  Did think of you when the wind woke me during the night.

I know its knowhere near what you have had but the old name of my place was Winthill (Windhill) and I look right out to Hay Bluff and the Brecon Beacons across Herefordshire and the Wye valley  so it can get pretty windy here
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 09:45:15 am »
been out and checked roofs etc one ridge tile gone.... been to town not much traffic on roads everyone staying at home I guess...

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 10:12:03 am »
Not far from Peterhead here and OH is in Fraserburgh - hard work getting the car door open he said and I'm struggling with gates but so far everything seems fine - goats are in of course and all sheep sheltering behind their "pallet wind breaks", ducks have rooted themselves to the spot in a huddle.

Lots of rattling and banging and my stock trailer went for a wander on it's own ...........
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS