Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wiltshire horn breeding question  (Read 2203 times)

pooks

• Joined Apr 2012
Wiltshire horn breeding question
« on: December 04, 2013, 02:07:39 pm »
how early in the  autumn  has anyone had a wiltshire horn ewe tupped and held?  I have a wilts ewe who was with a 4 month old ram lamb in August (untill he went to slaughter middle Oct at 6 months) and she is looking decidedly massive?  she is not being fed, the grass is nearly gone and none of them are interested in hay yet, so could he have caught her as ealy as beginning of August, which would make her due around 2nd Jan?  any thoughts?

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Wiltshire horn breeding question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 02:47:34 pm »
I think it could well be possible!

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 04:48:44 pm »
Plenty of the 'show' boys breed their wilts early in the season to get nice big lambs for the summer shows-----I have lambed them in early Feb so I am sure Jan is doable

pooks

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 08:15:40 am »
Thanks for that guys, i will keep a watchful eye on her from Christmas onwards; and will let you know what happens.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 05:44:14 pm »
I've just lambed my commercial breed Mule x texel (twins - hurray!) - she cycled with my Portlands who can essentially lamb anytime of the year. It is, therefore, very possible!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS