Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just butchered two pigs, need advice quick  (Read 1394 times)

jl_tortuga

• Joined Dec 2013
Just butchered two pigs, need advice quick
« on: December 03, 2013, 01:11:50 am »
As a project for my 12 year old son, we decided to raise two pigs this past summer and butcher in the fall.  Bought two six week old pigs from a reputable farmer who told us they were 'taken' care of meaning whatever is done to the little piglets!!  Did our best following all recommended procedures for growing organic pigs, never used a commercial dewormer and tried DE, rosemary, garlic, etc.  Pigs grew and grew and grew, we just butchered them this past week and they were huge, never looked sick and were always as happy as pigs could be!  I did dissect the liver and heart and comparing to pictures I found online, all looked well.  However, when butchering the second pig, we noticed a huge worm in the feces.  I would suspect since both pigs were in the same pen that the first may have been 'infected' also we just didn't notice it.  I don't know if I should trash the meat or not.  I've asked several local people and most say just to freeze the meat for at least 24 hours and make sure to cook well.  One guy mentioned he hunts and eats feral hogs which he stated were never dewormed!!  I don't want to get anyone sick and not sure what to do.... 

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Just butchered two pigs, need advice quick
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 05:27:47 am »
As long as you're going to cook the pig and not eat it sushi style, then you don't have a problem. :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS