Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weather, West Highlands, Thursday  (Read 3663 times)

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
Weather, West Highlands, Thursday
« on: December 02, 2013, 10:32:43 pm »
Batten the hatches folks.
Just been checking the latest on XC weather and Thursday (building from Midday Weds) is going to reach near to 60MPH constant blow with gusts to mid 70's. Peaking between 6am and midday Thursday. Mostly a Westerly / WNW direction.

Pick up and pack away what you can and fasten well what you can't.
good luck and stay safe.
Sskye

NB: I check the forecast for Elgol, West of Skye.
Rgds
Sskye

Victorian Farmer

Re: Weather, West Highlands, Thursday
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 11:55:45 pm »
The first few days of the meterological winter continue with cloudy and dry conditons. But as we approach the end of the week, we will see a big change to much colder and windy conditions, as winds swing round to a northerly direction, bringing bitterly cold air from the arctic and a risk of snow and gales. For today though, it's a quiet picture generally - with high pressure centred over southern Britain. Although it will be mainly dry, sunshine will be in rather short supply, with a mainly cloudy day across the UK, though the cloud may thin to allow hints of brightness, or if you're lucky, some sunny spells. Approaching Atlantic weather fronts across northwest Scotland will bring outbreaks of light rain here later and there's a chance of some drizzle across western hills and coasts elsewhere. Temperatures around average for the time of year, reaching 7-9C generally. It will turn increasingly windy overnight across northern Scotland, as a cold front continues to slowly slide southeast, bringing with a band of rain which will reach the central belt by dawn. Elsewhere a mainly dry but cloudy night and with light winds across central and southern Britain, dense fog patches will form in places.So a potentially foggy start to Tuesday across parts of The Midlands, East Anglia and SE England, with dense fog patches lingering through the morning in places. Otherwise remaining generally cloudy but dry across England and Wales. A cold front, bringing a band of rain, will continue south across Scotland during the day, followed by colder and brighter conditions across northern Scotland. The rain reaching the far north of England in the evening. Temperatures similar to today's values, reaching 7-9C generally, though chilly towards SE England and East Anglia where we hang on to the foggy conditions, perhaps 4-6C here at best.Wednesday sees the cold front across the north continue south across England and Wales, the rain band along it weakening it does so, reaching southern England late afternoon. Turning brighter but colder from the north following the cold front, but remaining dry apart from wintry showers across the far north of Scotland - where it will be very windy too.After a dry and bright start across southern areas on Thursday, turning quickly unsettled from the north, as a band of rain and strong winds sweeps south, reaching southern England in the evening. The band of rain could even have some snow on the back-edge - which may settle on higher ground. Following the rain band will be much colder and brighter conditions as the winds turn northerly, with snow showers packing in across northern areas and down coasts exposed to the wind. The northerly wind will strengthen to gale or severe gale force towards the evening across northern and eastern areas, bringing a risk of blizzards conditions in any snow showers and drifting of snow.Friday will be a rather cold but bright or sunny day, with a distinct wind chill in the north to northwesterly wind, which will blow in snow showers across coastal areas exposed to the wind, with a few making it inland - such as through the Cheshire Gap. Though showers will become less frequent through the day, as high pressure builds from the west and winds ease.The weekend sees high pressure return across the south, bringing mainly dry, bright but chilly conditions across England and Wales. Scotland and Northern Ireland looks to be cloudier and damp at times, with snow over the hills.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:57:19 pm by Victorian Farmer »

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 07:03:06 am »
It is sods law, I am meant to be flying up to Orkney Wed/Thurs to view a house. There's me telling family 'Oh no, Orkney hardly ever gets snow, it doesn't get too cold in winter' and now its forcast for heavy snow thursday. Now I am just praying the ferry is still able to run!  :sunshine:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 07:09:43 am »

It is sods law, I am meant to be flying up to Orkney Wed/Thurs to view a house. There's me telling family 'Oh no, Orkney hardly ever gets snow, it doesn't get too cold in winter' and now its forcast for heavy snow thursday. Now I am just praying the ferry is still able to run!  :sunshine:

Not quite sure how to break this to you Clarebelle but........ferries don't fly  ;D
Anne

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 07:48:42 am »
Just rain forecast for here but still windy. Hope everyone is OK on the wild West  :fc:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 07:52:53 am »
We have 68mph and heavy snow forecast (and unlike last time they forecast snow I don't think the temps are going to be high enough for a chance of it being rain instead....

Yuk! Don't mind the snow at all but do mind the gales ESP at the same time >:(

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 08:44:22 am »
We're forecast heavy rain on Thursday pm, with temps of 8C and 30mph winds.

I hate the wind - makes me scared  :(

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 10:06:04 am »
YeeeHaaar  :farmer:  from the Wild West.

Regarding Orkney and ferries I'd suggest calling the ferry company as, currently, it looks like the sailings would be off as the prediction is gusting F10+

Seems to have gone cyclic also as it starting as SW and moving around until a NNW, so need to check the sheltered zones.

Otherwise, right now, a bit of a breeze and a bit soggy but mild for the time of year. Hopefully get everything sorted today so there is no rush tomorrow. Also it looks as if the weather front is moving a little quicker and appears to be arriving about 6 hours earlier than when i looked last night. So it may even peak before the end of Wednesday at this rate. We shall see. All part of the Highland Winter Joy ;D

Rgds
Sskye
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:08:09 am by southernskye »
Rgds
Sskye

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 10:46:23 am »
Not quite sure how to break this to you Clarebelle but........ferries don't fly  ;D

lmao, I'm flying from Birmingham to Kirkwall Wednesday evening then I'm meant to be getting a ferry to Westray Thursday morning!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 11:42:14 am »
Yes - I was half considering buying a plot with beautiful views of Loch Ewe, but I have saved the weather forecast for the area to my laptop and check it regularly.   :gloomy: :gloomy: :gloomy:

So far the place just by Bordeaux is looking more appealing  :sunshine: and occasional :raining:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS