Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Did you know the NHS pays vat....  (Read 3565 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Did you know the NHS pays vat....
« on: November 29, 2013, 11:01:23 am »
.... on all its medicines and probably everything else for all I know

Where on earth is the sense in that. 

How many accountants does it take to sort it all ou and what does that cost?.

Sometimes I think the Civil Service is manned by nit-wits ....... maybe make that all the time !!!!!
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Did you know the NHS pays vat....
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 11:09:23 am »
never gave it a thought before....robbing Peter to pay ail then give back to Peter....stupid

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 12:23:10 pm »
That's a tricky one. The alternative would be for companies to sell bandages / chairs / beds to private individuals and other companies and charge VAT, but then not charge VAT if the customer was the NHS, which is even more complicated IMHO.

The wasteful thing is just how many times VAT is charged and reclaimed on all sorts of goods. Think about it - wood company makes planks, sells them to wood yard, charges VAT. Wood yard sells to joiner, charges VAT, reclaims original VAT. Joiner buys planks, turns them into furniture, sells them to shop, charges VAT and reclaims the VAT he originally paid on the planks. Shop buys furniture, then sells it to customer, charges VAT, reclaims input yet again. Customer buys furniture, Pays VAT on final invoice.

So the only person who actually net PAYS anything is the final customer. However even in that simple supply chain, five individual layers of VAT were involved.

What a horribly inefficient way to collect tax!  You don't suppose the whole thing is just a way for the government to clamp down on black markets and cash transactions do you?  :innocent:   :innocent: :innocent:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 12:29:40 pm »
you also forget that each level the vat increases so some still goes to the treasury as in that example each person who works on the item's time is vatable as it contributes to the value of the processed item.

which is why sole traders can use the fixed payment system to save administration...

still mad that an organisation as big as the NHS pays VAT but from an economic point of view the more times money goes round a loop the better as that all adds to productivity apparently...

economics makes my head hurt...

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 01:03:45 pm »
I often think that all the talk about the cost of smoking and drinking to the NHS is strange as, surely heavy smokers and drinkers do pay for their treatment in TAX from the products that make them ill?
Same with over eaters but no TAX on sports!!

I think a lot of government services waste money, that's one reason privatisation was brought in but that's not always good either!  I remember the amount forked out on Social Services transport costs for a start, often to people who already had payments to pay for their transport, I looked after one girl who was taken daily in a taxi to School and even 10 years ago it was approx. £60 one way as it was about 30 mile trip so times that daily buy 2 then the amount of time she had the Taxi for, she stayed with me for a few months  until she was returned back home, although it was the best option to keep the girl in her own environment as much as possible, even though a then suspected paedophile kept picking her up while at School :innocent: ......
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:10:25 pm by happygolucky »

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 02:33:38 pm »
I had never really thought about it, but I suppose the companies selling the products must charge VAT, so the NHS must pay it.  I presume they can claim it back? 

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 04:47:52 pm »
But just think of all the work and time involved in booking it out to them and them claiming it back presuming they are vat exempt!  I just can't see the sense in it.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 07:14:03 pm »
yes, i book VAT to them when i do work, I am sure they are registered, so they can claim it back…
but as you say…silly really, as it needs someone to do it..so another job created

i have always thought , it would be better not to charge registered people, as they will only claim it back anyway

being self employed..its a pain in the arris …time spent without being paid

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 07:37:24 am »
But just think, all these accounts would be unemployed if it didn't work like that... Where would new jobs for them come from? Or what would we pay the benefits from they'd now be able to claim (and they would know exactly what to claim and get every penny of it)? ;)

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 08:05:32 am »
They also pay employers NI. It is a smoke screen as it over inflates the money being pumped into the government service sector. There employees also pay tax so when the politicians spout on about how much spending has increased on the NHS it is a big blur. If they did not pay those taxes, do you think the government    would still keep the funding at the same level? It couldnt afford to!!

The simple question should be.....does the NHS or government spend its money wisely??

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 03:57:14 pm »
They have to do accounts anyway so working out what has VAT and what does not only takes an extra milli-second per transaction to record either way I would have thought.

Its not that they have to pay VAT - its just the supplier has to charge VAT.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 07:31:19 pm »
I often think that all the talk about the cost of smoking and drinking to the NHS is strange as, surely heavy smokers and drinkers do pay for their treatment in TAX from the products that make them ill?
Same with over eaters but no TAX on sports!!

I think a lot of government services waste money, that's one reason privatisation was brought in but that's not always good either!  I remember the amount forked out on Social Services transport costs for a start, often to people who already had payments to pay for their transport, I looked after one girl who was taken daily in a taxi to School and even 10 years ago it was approx. £60 one way as it was about 30 mile trip so times that daily buy 2 then the amount of time she had the Taxi for, she stayed with me for a few months  until she was returned back home, although it was the best option to keep the girl in her own environment as much as possible, even though a then suspected paedophile kept picking her up while at School :innocent: ......

I think it's been quoted an average per day stay in hospital is over £20 K. without any treatment or surgery .
Add in thing like cancer treatment  ( my private MRI cost me £650 , 10 yrs ago ) joint replacements£ 15 to 40 K  , eye surgery , heart transplants heart & lung transplant, surgery because of strokes related to the vices  .

By my thinking  the 60 smoker  /heavy drinker with two months total hospital time in their 60 year life  would never ever  pay that much tax in two life times let alone one if you take it as from 17 yrs. old they had 20 fags a day at 80 % tax or three pints of beer a day or a litre bottle of spirit a week.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS