Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: doubled our pig numbers today...  (Read 3602 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
doubled our pig numbers today...
« on: November 30, 2013, 07:44:49 pm »
to two! Doreen now has a pal, an 8 month old large black cross saddleback gilt.  She is a bit nervous of people, but seems to be getting on with Big D so far, and I'm sure she'll come round.

The other good news is that we have found a LB boar only half an hour away, who Doreen can visit, if I can only tell when she is in season - hopefully new piggly will help with this too.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: doubled our pig numbers today...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 07:53:45 pm »
 :thumbsup:  Are you planning on breeding with Doreen straight away? I would definitely be interested in some weaners  in 2014.
Anne

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 08:58:04 am »
:thumbsup:  Are you planning on breeding with Doreen straight away? I would definitely be interested in some weaners  in 2014.

Yes, as soon as we can work out when she comes into season - the boar owners want us to record one season, then take her there for the next time, which is sensible, but I am finding it very hard to spot anything.  Hopefully her having a pal will help, and if it all works out, of course you can get some weaners.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 09:22:32 am »
As she is black, her vulva won't change colour when she is in season, so instead look for changes in size instead, and in particular, any clear mucus which can be seen on the prime day for servicing.   If you check every single day, ideally in good daylight, you will soon learn to recognise when her vulva is more swollen than normal, and then watch it returning to its usual shape.   Another helpful aid is Boar Mate spray - when they are not ready pigs are positively antagonistic to it, but when they are coming in to heat they will react quite differently:  stand very still and to back pressure, and be unusually friendly if they can smell any Boar Mate on you.    With a Tamworth, which I know you don't have, they wriggle their ears like great radar receivers.    We had Saddlebacks as well as Tamworths, and used to do this on a daily basis with them and it worked well.   Good luck  :fc: :fc: :fc:   

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 09:35:45 am »
Thank you, that is very helpful.  The main problem I am having is the good daylight part, I am sure I must have missed her on a day when I was away at work so only seeing her in the dark.

Where can you get the Boar Mate spray from?

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 11:52:35 am »
I got Boar Mate from Animal Health Supplies Ltd. in Framlingham, Suffolk.   They don't have online ordering, but their phone number is 01728 621070.   

Just use one squirt towards her nose, don't overdo it!

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 04:21:00 pm »
That's good that you have found someone local  :thumbsup:.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 12:01:36 pm »
That's great news. You could try the new one with a bit of apple or banana. worked with ours. One of mine also gets very vocal and wanders around looking for a mate when she is in season.
Good luck hope all goes well.

Think we need some pics
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 02:26:25 pm »
I would be interested in Saddleback weaners too when you breed with her as my regular source is going to cross theirs next time with a commercial breed, currently paying £50 each ;D .
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS