Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Puppie eating sheep poo  (Read 8246 times)

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
Puppie eating sheep poo
« on: November 30, 2013, 10:23:25 am »
We have just got our selves a 9mth old Border collie that we want to train as a working dog for our sheep, however while out walking him in fields that have had sheep in he eats sheep poo, is this normal behaviour?

Pigs are human tooo

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Puppie eating sheep poo
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 10:49:35 am »
Perfectly normal, and so long as your sheep are wormed he will come to no harm except if he eats too much and it might make him sick or get the runs.  I was once told 'if your dog eating horse, sheep,or cow poo offends you, don't watch!'  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 10:59:37 am »
In my experience most young dogs find sheep and some other poo tasty, any dog I have owned usually grows out of it after a time mostly because they have been encouraged not to eat things they find on the ground. So if you don't want him eating poo tell him not to and he will get it after a time. Some say that it is to do with a deficiency in the diet but not me. Not advisable to let them as there could be all sorts of parasites present in the droppings.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 01:01:26 pm »
It is in all dogs' job descriptions, to be as disgusting as possible. Eat poo, roll in very-long-dead stuff and hedgehog poo........

Not a bad plan, as bigchicken says, to train them out of scavenging. I can manage a 'leave it' that works when I'm there, but I'm absolutely convinced they scavenge when I'm not.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 01:18:51 pm »
Agree with all that's said.It is perfectly normal for some dogs to want to eat such scrum my tasting food on the go  :roflanim:  It's a personal decision whether you want to turn a blind eye or teach the dog to leave it.
I hate it so teach the 'leave' command. As bigchicken said, I find after a while they learn to leave it before the command is needed  :thumbsup:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 01:34:56 pm »
Agree with all that's said.It is perfectly normal for some dogs to want to eat such scrum my tasting food on the go  :roflanim:  It's a personal decision whether you want to turn a blind eye or teach the dog to leave it.
I hate it so teach the 'leave' command. As bigchicken said, I find after a while they learn to leave it before the command is needed  :thumbsup:
Oh yes, mine definitely know the 'Leave it' command.  But I have turned round on odd occasions to see three very guilty looking Brittanys - especially when it's frosty and the sheep poo berries seem to be tastier with ice on them  :roflanim:

Really I wouldn't worry too much, sheep are wormed regularly, many puppies grow out of the habit, some like my independent spirits never do, some will never touch them again when yelled at the first time, others (like my German Wirehaired Pointer, Hester)  will put up a two finger salute!  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 06:33:02 pm »
Ours eat horse, sheep and chook poo - doesn't seem to do them any harm - they are both 13 and in great condition.

Tess also likes a bit of cat sick if she can get to it first ::)

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 08:05:15 pm »
Thanks one and all thought it may be normal but just wanted reassurance.
Pigs are human tooo

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 08:18:44 pm »
Ours eat it from any animal they can find except cow Pats, they keep them for rolling in  ::)
Graham

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 09:32:47 am »
Ours eat it from any animal they can find except cow Pats, they keep them for rolling in  ::)

Funny that - cow pats must be the wrong consistency for eating but just right for rolling  ;D

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 07:51:39 am »
Goose poo seems to be the snack of choice for our Lab. She also likes a nugget of pig poo occasionally.

Pipsa

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 11:37:15 am »
My friend's dog once brought a frozen ball of horse manure in his mouth into their house at Christmas - he hid the ball under their Christmas tree in their living room - his present to the family (:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 01:23:21 pm »
the very worse thing is human poo, one lab I had came happily out of a hedge with a "sausage", then another dog found some thrown off shorts and found the contents very tasted, thankfully, none of my current dogs have eaten any yet :fc:  but they do like a bit of  horse poo if I do not see it first, they will leave, we rarely get nearsheep  poo but I am sure they would love that.  one thing, some poo appears more appealing to dogs than others, not sure why?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS