Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Incubator monitor  (Read 1985 times)

donny

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Weymouth, Dorset
  • Do you know this breed??
Incubator monitor
« on: August 23, 2009, 09:57:36 am »
Hi all.

Just thought I would clear things as I have been asked a few questions regarding the previous topic that I submitted " WELL IT PASSED AND IS NOW FOR SALE".

The device I made is a handy gadget if you own one of the polystyrene forced air incubators, I have one and it is the reason that I designed it to be used with them.

Firstly,

1) It is not a replacement power supply unit, it monitors the mains and runs the incubator from a battery if the mains fails.

2) It can be used to run an incubator where there is NO mains electric, so yes you can use the incubator in a shed, barn or anywhere else for that matter.

3)It is fully CE tested for the UK and Europe

4)It is simple to fit, unplug the connections to the incubator and fit them into the same plugs and sockets on the monitor, the crock clips go to the backup battery.

And if you are still wondering what I am on about look here:        Ebay Item: 140340955627

I have also made a very simple egg turner, tested and used to hatch my recent ducklings. You now only have to open the incubator to candle, add humidity or remove the new chicks.

Any questions then please PM me..

Cheers

Donny

Tullywood Farm

donny

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Weymouth, Dorset
Re: Incubator monitor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 10:30:44 am »
Blimey, Many thanks Julie.

Oh and dont worry about the ebay price, if you want any of the items I have mentioned above then just send me a PM.
The price will be greatly reduced.
Donny
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:34:00 am by donny »

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:47:05 am »
Hello Donny

We have an Octagon 100, and have just lost 6 ostrich chicks because of a power failure
which only lasted 12 hours but did enough damage to constant temp etc required.

Here is a link to the Octagon 100 spec including power supply
http://www.cagenbird.com/prod_incubators_files/brinsea_octagon_100_&_250_digital.htm

We need to leave it on electricity - but if it goes off and we do not know, we need it to be able
to switch over to battery.  Is is doubtful you could leave it on battery for long because it is such a
big heavy machine with automatic turner and tepmerature and humidity on board.

Any thoughts on a fix to our problem??

Julie

donny

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Weymouth, Dorset
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 11:26:26 am »
Oh wow, so sorry to hear that. The consumption of the octagon was the reason I decided not to get one, also the over complexity of it. My unit would not work for it but, have you thought of a 300w power inverter run direct from a fully charged battery.

Before making my device for my incubator, this is exactly what I did. It was just after 2AM and my young son woke me saying he was scared as it was all dark, I nearly pooped a brick as knowing my eggs ( 12 of them all duck ) had about 2 weeks to go. I dressed, grabbed some tools, battery off car, and incubator running again.

Damage was already done, only one made it to pippin but died in the shell.

The shear extra power needed by the inverter itself took enough power to run 2 incubators so the battery had to be manually monitored throughout the night to make sure it was ok. It barely had enough power to work by the time the mains returned.

It is why I went for the polystyrene type incubator, very very low power. I also wanted to do away with the power greedy inverter which, in the end is why I made my own unit.

You could maybe have a polystyrene incubator as a backup, with a battery fully charged to hand at the ready, its a bit of a plug but maybe if you did that then my monitor would do the job as and when needed without any interaction.

Tell you what, if you buy a polystyrene incubator then pm me, will help you out, ok.

Donny

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS