Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is this her season?  (Read 2151 times)

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
Is this her season?
« on: December 02, 2013, 02:27:22 pm »
I have a Bagot female, she is just over a year old, she runs with the sheep and a castrated Bagot boy, yesterday and today she has been bleating when ever she sees me, she is eating well and no signs of an upset tummy, droppings good etc. Is this her season? I have tried to see if she is twitching her tail, but if so not much. I have only kept boys so a little in the dark. I have brought them in early to there little barn, she seems fine except for the bleating? advice please. I do not expect to breed from her so just concerned in case I am missing something, if it is a season will she bother the lad?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Is this her season?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 03:57:04 pm »
Most likely that is her being in season. She may (or may not) try to mount the boy, or he may try her. I wouldn't worry about that, usually doesn't last longer than a day or maybe two. She will do it again in three weeks time (or thereabouts).

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 04:17:31 pm »
Thanks Anke, just checked and her vulva is a little puffy (not easy with a torch :innocent: ) poor Charlie the lad is looking a bit confused. My learning curve keeps getting steeper!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 05:23:00 pm »
Thanks Anke, just checked and her vulva is a little puffy (not easy with a torch :innocent: ) poor Charlie the lad is looking a bit confused. My learning curve keeps getting steeper!
That's where my head torch is coming in handy....

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 05:24:09 pm »
my nanny is bleating herself hoarse as she can smell the billies, but we arent breeding this year. the billies are much quieter, but a wee bit vocal.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS