Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chainsaw -recommendations for idiot proof one please  (Read 9675 times)

WhiteHorses

• Joined Apr 2013
  • West Lothian, Scotland
Chainsaw -recommendations for idiot proof one please
« on: November 29, 2013, 09:43:32 am »
My OH wants a (petrol) chainsaw and it is something we need, so I'm thinking I'll get one for Christmas. It would be for chopping up a couple of fallen trees and occasional use trimming branches etc. I'm thinking a new one that's easy to start and use, reliable, needs only simple routine maintenance - it can get serviced by someone else and is generally as idiot proof as a chainsaw can be.

Any suggestions please?

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Chainsaw -recommendations for idiot proof one please
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:52:50 am »
Personally I'd only look at Sthil or Husqvarana

I have a Sthil MS180 which has been very good

Don't forget Chainsaw trouser, gloves, helmet, visor and ear defenders and preferably some training as well.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 09:58:18 am »
chainsaws by default are not idiot proof

bare minimum is get a good demonstration from someone with experience, better yet is some proper training.

just learning to keep it properly sharp is so important.

chainsaws are definitely a case of you get what you pay for, when i started doing garden maintenance 6 years ago i purchased a 99 quid super cheapy and although it was ok for trimming off small side branches it really couldn't cope with anything much over 4 inches diameter.

Have since used both husqvana and stihl tools and they are much better... but even then within the range is a huge amount of choice and it requires some experience of using them to decide what you actually need for your property...

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 10:02:08 am »
2nd henchard on the Sthil, not worth trying to get a bargain with chainsaw's. Get bigger than you think you need otherwise you will only strain what you have which will lead to trouble.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 10:07:55 am »
Also budget in for the PPE Safety equipment to go with..

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 10:34:07 am »
We bought a chainsaw from B&Q I think :thinking: , but it was just over £100 and did not last long at all, they are dangerous e beasts and although we could do with another I think now we would hire one or buy a more industrial one, good to look at what the professionals or hire companies use....... :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 10:49:14 am »
Ditto Sthil or Husqvarna and the safety equipment / training. I think Oatridge does chainsaw training and it's local to you.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 10:57:19 am »
I bought the smallest stihll, the MS 180 about 8 years ago, it has been super reliable, is light and easy to use, in my opinion all a smallholder needs.

I second the comments on PPE, I have helmet with ear defenders and face shield, gloves, and trousers.

Training would be a good idea too.

I also have one of these, which makes logging a much much safer operation, looks flimsy, but has stood up to all my abuse so far and have cut over 10 tons of logs with it.

http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/md-saw-horse-with-chainsaw-attachment.html

A number of firms do them.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:04:59 am by stufe35 »

WhiteHorses

• Joined Apr 2013
  • West Lothian, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 11:35:55 am »
Thanks. Completely agree re clothing and training too.

Being a fairly practical girl I have used a Kubota chainsaw years ago. Was shown how to and to be honest I was pretty scared of it and treated it ultra carefully and gratefully handed it to experienced men whenever they were available.
OH doesn't like anyone to suggest he isn't far more competent than I could possibly be, or sufficiently knowledgable, which is why getting all these things as presents is a good plan :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 12:07:26 pm »

Husky do a "landowner range" of tools which are superb quality but not their top of the range (i.e. no heated handles etc!).

I disagree with "get bigger than you need" though. These new saws don't do raw power - they do high RPMs instead, which means that even a small light saw will do the job. I have a Husky 346XP, which is absolutely superb.It all depends to a degree on personal strength, but I find my wee saw far easier to use than my friend's big beast. The light weight just makes it so much easier to work with without getting tired arms.

HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 02:18:49 pm »
I have a Stihl and was told by the salesman to get the smallest I could get away with to do the job. They can be too heavy to use easily and if you are struggling you are not safe. The smaller ones are cheaper, lighter and use less fuel. And if you are up a ladder!!

In my case I needed a bigger one as some of the trees were over 2' diameter. So I got one with an 18" bar, which did the job fine but is far too big for general lopping. I also have a 10" Black and Decker electric chainsaw. Very light, extremely cheap and economical to run so almost effortless to use and is now coming up to 35 years old. I could do with something in-between, but an electrical one for cutting near the house for burning lengths is ideal.

So what I am saying I suppose WhiteHorses, is that you may need two three to cover all the jobs.

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 03:35:12 pm »
I'll just add don't overlook the McCulloch range - they're manufactured by Husqvarna and they're reasonably priced I bought the 14 inch CS340 a few months ago (Amazon), am very pleased with it as it's not too heavy, and has done everything I've needed so far.

I'll also second the views regarding PPE - absolutely vital - you don't get second chances with a  chainsaw .

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 08:53:20 pm »
I too would go for stihl /husky.

I would go for the smallest one unless you know you need a big one - that way you're controlling the chainsaw and not the other way round.

I got the smallest Stihl MS170 with a 12" bar and I can still chop up 2' logs (though a good sharp chain and un-worn bar are required for that size of log).

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 08:58:14 pm »
sorry to be boring but i love my husky too ( I know stihl are certainly just as good)- previously tried to get away with a cheaper one- after about 3 stints the blessed thing never started. I usually ended up cussing and using a bow saw. would also second all previous comments re safety- chainsaws are not to be taken complacently-

Old Empty Barn

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 11:00:09 pm »
Hi Whitehorses, I recently bought a Husqvarna 435 from Livingston Garden Machinery & find it the perfect all round saw for my smallholding needs including cutting up all the firewood ....... you're more than welcome to come over & try it out if it would help, I think the firm also give instruction as well.
Dave

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS