Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do crows kill lambs?  (Read 20183 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Do crows kill lambs?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 06:25:41 pm »
Badgers certainly take infirm lambs - the inside-out skin is indicative of badger.

As to whether they take newborns...  :thinking:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 06:53:29 pm »
Yes badgers take lambs.  Crows and ravens will peck out the eyes, tongue, umbilicus and anus of a first-born twin while the dam is off having the second one.

If you're shooting crows always go into the hide with two people, wait a few minutes then one person leaves.  Fortunately crows can't count!  Look around the field and you'll always see one crow on sentry duty, generally high up in a big tree.  They take it in turns through the day - to both spot danger and that lambing or cast ewe already mentioned.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 11:18:15 pm »
I've seen me losing strong single lambs to the badger at anything up to three weeks old! The Kites will make a fair meal out of a lambing park not to mention the ravens, gulls and a thousand and one other protected verminous critters that quietly sink the record lambing!
All this I can deal with, it happens and all these creatures have their own young to feed, the annoying bit is being told by someone that has never been in a lambing park in their life that it doesn't happen like that!!! >:(
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 09:22:04 am »
Oh, Yes.  Isn't it amazing how many animal experts there are sitting in Government and wildlife charity offices?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS