Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving to the Isle of Lewis  (Read 5392 times)

Albion

• Joined Nov 2013
Moving to the Isle of Lewis
« on: November 27, 2013, 04:56:00 pm »
Hi all
I`m thinking of moving to Lewis buying a run down property and renovating it to live in any one on here done anything similar
Jim

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Moving to the Isle of Lewis
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 05:01:26 pm »
Hi, no, not that brave  :innocent:  well we need to be near to work but I would love to move some where similar ....I hope there are a few people who have done what you plan, you only live once and its a shame to get stuck in a rut wishing!!!! :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 05:58:30 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

We've bought two run down properties and done them up - loved it but not planning to do it a third time  :)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 08:50:51 pm »
Hello! Sounds very exciting.  We almost moved to Orkney to do something similar, but had a baby instead!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 10:20:09 pm »
 :wave:  and welcome from Shropshire. It's something I thought of doing some years ago but bought a house on Isle of Arran that was in good nick instead. I wish you well though if you decide to go ahead.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 10:25:02 pm »
We are currently looking to move to Lewis or Orkney as we can't afford to buy the type of property we want elsewhere. We are trying to avoid properties which need a lot of work as we think it would be unworkable for us personally. We have three young children so they would need somewhere that was at least livable. We also thought about the pontential trouble of getting builders and supplies etc. on an island where we have no friends/family or contacts.

On the flip side, the properties up there which need revovating are available at such a good price and many of them have huge potential. For us though, the move up there will be massive enough so we want the peace of mind of knowing the building and basics are sound. (i'm not including cosmetic work in this)

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 10:49:05 pm »
We moved from devon to aviemore 600 miles the trick is to sell all stuff the transport costs is massive. The house needed work as it was new. I would love to go to ben bekula west coast. the cost of  a croft is 150 thousand. Well worth it

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 10:53:44 pm »
We do not live quite that remote but have spent the last 17 years doing up our place. Been hard sometimes but we love where we stay and think ourselves lucky.

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 09:53:34 am »
 We nearly moved to a smallholding on Sanday that was advertised at £120k ( and still is for sale I think ) but in the end we just couldnt make work 'work' for us as it would have involved me working away in England and it wouldnt have been fair for OH to have to manage the place on her own whilst I wasnt there.

The impression we got was that whilst the island living feels remote the transport links are in place to enable you to be involved in a wider community - it just needs a slightly different view on life and organising yourself so you make the most of whatever ferry or plane trip you make.
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 04:20:27 pm »
Lewis is a great place if you accept that you are a long way from anywhere else! When I lived there I would often  go six months or more without visiting the mainland. Compared to remote areas of the mainland it is actually much better supplied with shops etc.
Found Stornoway very friendly, never really did the 'out in the stix' part.
When we lived there we weren't tempted much by crofting as the land is so poor. Also everything has to be tied down- I had my trellises ripped off the wall of the house, for example.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS