Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why doesn't anyone know about turkeys????  (Read 5115 times)

rustyme

Re: Why doesn't anyone know about turkeys????
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 12:12:35 am »
lol.... I know it does my ed in ....the only thing I can think of is , swine (AH1N1) flu is a mix of swine flu (north American and European ) , Avian Flu ( Asian ) and human flu (European) . That would then make it possible for it to pass to an avian member , chicken, duck, or turkey !!! Which if in turn had another more virulent form of avian flu , could cause serious problems.
      However, The new strain (AH1N1) was initially described as an apparent re assortment of at least four strains of influenza A virus subtype H1N1, including one strain endemic in humans, one endemic in birds, and two endemic in swine.[43] Subsequent analysis suggested it was a re assortment of just two strains, both found in swine.[47] Although initial reports identified the new strain as swine influenza (i.e., a zoonos-is originating in swine), its origin is unknown.
    As you say though, it must mutate at least a bit, to pass to another form of animal (avian) if ?, IF ? it is (as the subsequent analysis suggested ), a re assortment of two strains both found in swine !!!  
    Like I said ...it does my ed in ..... :o

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Why doesn't anyone know about turkeys????
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 03:45:07 pm »
My first husband was a bacteriologist (virologist eventually) in charge of a Virus Lab. He stored them at minus 70 degrees, worked with numerous different strains in the lab and refused to take the flu jab giving the following reasons:
his aseptic technique was good
he had built up immunity over the years
it mutated every time it came round the world so a specific vaccine could never be available

He reckoned it was a waste of time taking the vaccine and worked on finding cures instead.  Unfortunately he died before he could complete that task.  His boss in Aberdeen was the world famous Dr Hugh Pennington.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS