Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wiltshire Horn Flock for sale  (Read 6944 times)

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Wiltshire Horn Flock for sale
« on: November 23, 2013, 09:38:58 am »
Entire flock for sale;
80 pedigree ewes running with high index performance recorded rams, due to lamb in April
20 ewe lambs

All pedigree registered and performance recorded
Bred outdoors on grass only for many years, never fed anything but grass
These are hardy animals that have been subjected to a heavy selection criteria----one problem and culled
This includes not rearing a lamb/footrot/scald/mis-mothering etc

Based in Wiltshire, nr Warminster---ewes currently near Pewsey

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Wiltshire Horn Flock for sale
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 12:41:22 pm »
Do you want to sell the whole flock as a going concern, or would you be prepared to sell two or three ewes?

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 05:04:38 pm »
I will sell any amount to anyone----buying 1 or 2 will be more expensive though

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 06:28:14 pm »
Hi Tim, can I ask why you are selling up? Are you getting out of sheep or just this breed?

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 06:53:52 pm »
Hi Tim, can I ask why you are selling up? Are you getting out of sheep or just this breed?

I have about 900 ewes ---750 Exlana , 50+ charollais and 100 wilts

They all make a profit for me but there is a limit to what I can do on my own in terms of labour/time and land available
The Charollais are a new venture, the Exlana I have a waiting list for and are easy to sell --farmers will buy 50 or 100 at a time
The wilts I have kept for 20+ years (had 250 ewes at one stage ) but the market is a bit different ---I sell 2 or 3 or maybe 10 ewes at a time and the market for rams is very small. They are also less productive than the other breeds ---so something has to give and it seems to be the wilts

In favour of the wilts--
1) We have performance recorded them since 1996 and made good progress ---14% more lambs than when we started that are on average 1.4 kg heavier at 8 weeks old
2) They are one of the better performing of the traditional/rare breeds having a decent size carcase
3) They are fairly 'easycare ' animals
4) they are great for direct marketers and farm shop situations as they have good tasty meat and look great

Hell, I've almost talked myself into keeping the damn things!

brian

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 06:45:28 pm »
Hi Tim just registered with the website. Do you still have stock for sale. What is your Flock Name (WHS) and if I was interested  in say 3 ewes what sort of price would you be looking for?
I have a small flock of Wiltshires but would be interested in buying some  extra 'in lamb' stock..  Lastly can you give details of the Ram used ,so I can look it up in the Flock book.

Many thanks

Brian

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 09:16:50 am »
Hi Tim just registered with the website. Do you still have stock for sale. What is your Flock Name (WHS) and if I was interested  in say 3 ewes what sort of price would you be looking for?
I have a small flock of Wiltshires but would be interested in buying some  extra 'in lamb' stock..  Lastly can you give details of the Ram used ,so I can look it up in the Flock book.

Many thanks

Brian

PM sent Brian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS