Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can anyone reccomend good small hand shears for a lady with small hands..  (Read 4228 times)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
iv been using my friends hand shears to dag my few ewes but I find them too large to hold comfortabley.
can anyone recommend a nice pair of smaller ones that I may find easier to hold.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Re: can anyone reccomend good small hand shears for a lady with small hands..
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 09:59:54 am »
we got some "Drummer Boy" red handled shears which are double bowed and easy to squeeze. they do have a 6 1/2 inch blade which left my OH slightly twitchy round the back end, so we also got a smaller pair 3 1/2 inch single bow from a website peasridge.co.uk. i'd recommend either as she has small hands and can handle both quite easily

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

sarahdean_66

• Joined May 2012
  • Yelling Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 01:16:41 pm »
my friend bought a set of topiary shears for this and ive used them we are both ladies with fairly small hands.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:55:26 pm »
I agree  with VSS, if they seem a little long then move your hand down the blades....simples :excited:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 12:38:46 am »
I bought some Jakoti shears last year - best £20+ I've ever invested. So easy to use, and super sharp. They're often primarily marketed as garden shears, but sheep folk have found them invaluable for hand-shearing.
You can find them online lots of places, e.g. http://www.jamescountrysupplies.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=558
Shop around for the best deal - some come with a protective holster. Depends who you buy from.

www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Auld Cairnallochy

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 09:11:28 pm »
Do a lot of hand shearing and found Trafalgar shears to be the best.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 09:29:00 pm »
I also bought Jakoti and they are brilliant but lethally sharp. I have small hands and they are easy to use.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS