Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: a question re heptavac  (Read 5120 times)

Advertisement

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
a question re heptavac
« on: November 20, 2013, 09:40:49 am »
Up until this year we have always heptavac-ed in late May ( at shearing time), just because we always have. When we started our near neighbour suggested we shared a bottle to avoid wasting any and that was when he did his. Also because we were somewhat reliant on him booking the shearer there have been years when the "annual" booster has been over 12 months- last year for example we sheared 2 weeks later than the year before, which meant that the booster was given 12 1/2 months later. I don't want to take any chances from now on. Recently ( on here) I have discovered that it would be better to do it 6 weeks out from lambing ( which it does actually say on the bottle) which would be early Feb and that our current regime may well mean that lambs are not born with necessary coverage.
So that's what we're planning to do from now on. The question is about those who have been getting their boosters in May/June and sometimes outside the 12 months. is there any danger in simply starting them again and giving them the 2 jabs 4 weeks apart to compensate for the slightly ad hoc past system.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: a question re heptavac
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 09:53:45 am »
If you jagged them in May 2013 and are proposing to jag them again in Feb 2014, and annually thereafter, then they won't need a double jag again.  The Feb shot will be an early booster this one time.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shankendfarming

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Hawick, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 05:32:40 pm »
Hiya,

Heptavac P should be given 4-6 weeks pre-lambing. Any sheep not on the Heptavac P system should be given 2 x 2ml injections 4-6 weeks apart.
In my case any bought in sheep that is not on the Heptavac P system, or if I don't know what clostridial vaccine she has been given in the past, and all my ewe lambs get their 1st injection 8-12 weeks pre-lambing and the 2nd injection 4-6 weeks pre-lambing.
Ewes on a Heptavac P system need to be given an annual booster no more that 12 months from the previous injection as detailed in the NOAH Compendium Data sheet for Heptavac P, (see following link http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD_Animal_Health/Heptavac_P_PLUS/-28967.html).

If you are in any doubt then you should consult your vet or an SQP at your local agricultural merchants.

Maybe not much help, but if they haven't had a booster within the 12 months since their last injection it might mean that they are no longer covered...?! Sally, do you have any thoughts on that?

Cheers

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 06:01:31 pm »
yes shankend that was my concern- if we do them in Feb then its well inside 12 months but in the past it hasn't always been- the one in May 2013 was 2 weeks over - so its whether that single jab was too late and it would be better starting again. cost isn't an issue as we have to buy a certain size anyway and it would just mean we throw less away- but I don't want to overdo it, and I don't want to under do it

shankendfarming

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Hawick, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 07:44:01 pm »
Certainly when I spoke to my vet about bought in sheep she said that if I didn't know the vaccination history then just take it that they weren't on the Heptavac P system, so give them the 2 vaccinations to get them onto the system.

I do have my AMTRA training, which allows me to sell and advise on animal medicines that are not vet-only products, but I wouldn't like to say for definite on this one. If they were my sheep I would do them twice to get them onto the system properly, but it is advisable to check with the vet, or an employee of MSD animal health who make Heptavac P. You could drop MSD an email or give them a ring...

Any ewe lambs that you are keeping then give then the 2 vaccinations pre-lambing so that they get into your system to fit in with when you lamb...

I would be interested to know what the outcome is if you seek veterinary advice...

If you suddenly decided to change from Heptavac P to Covexin or Ovivac P etc then you would have to get them onto that system, which with Covexin, the 1st dose is 5ml followed by a 2ml second dose...so in theory with this thought and what my vet said about getting my new sheep onto Heptavac P, then it shouldn't do the sheep any harm...just remember that they are going to be in-lamb when you jag them, so avoid stress as much as possible.

Wish I could be more help

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 07:49:45 pm »
no- that's more than helpful- I think we'll err on the side of caution and do it properly from now on. as you say with bought in sheep there's always the chance of over doing it slightly if you don't know the history. we always try to handle the sheep quietly but obviously the nearer to lambing the more careful we'll need to be - I guess we should do the first one 10 weeks out and then again at 6 weeks- I will ring the vet as he's always really helpful just to check- will post what he says

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 08:28:02 pm »
cost isn't an issue as we have to buy a certain size anyway and it would just mean we throw less away- but I don't want to overdo it, and I don't want to under do it
- except that each bottle has to be used within 10 hours...  unless you go for the trick of sticking it in the fridge, which I was never convinced of but would be pleased to hear myself proved wrong?
Carefully shearing small flocks throughout the South-West.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 08:32:22 pm »
If it's only been 2 weeks over 12 months I can't see it being a significantly increased risk - it's not like the vaccine instantaneously cuts off after 365 days.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 10:15:59 pm »
I certainly wouldn't worry about 12 months and 2 weeks.  Personally I think up to 14 months would be fine. ;)  But of course the manufacturer couldn't warrant that.

There are many threads about keeping the vaccine in the fridge for the month between 1st and 2nd shots; the concensus seems to be to cover the top with clingfilm and only to pierce once the first time, using just one needle to extract all the doses you use, so that there is as little opportunity for contamination to enter as possible.

Annual boosters for breeding ewes want to be 3 weeks before lambing.

Don't forget that your ewes (and tups and lambs too) are susceptible to clostridial disease until they are vaccinated, so for total protection the initial 2 doses want to be as soon as the animal arrives on farm and is settled and recovered from any other arrival meds you've administered, or at a few weeks old (check the product info for exact timing) for lambs whose mums had their booster pre-lambing.

In practise what most farmers do is vaccinate keeping ewe lambs at the backend with their 2 initial shots, then the whole flock 3 weeks before lambing.  Some farmers therefore either give their keeping ewe lambs an early first booster, in which case you could decide to make the initial 2 shots earlier in the summer for even better protection of the lambs, or stretch the first 'year' to 16 months or thereabouts, giving the first booster to the gimmers before they lamb as shearlings.  In part your decision would depend on the local prevalence; if clostridial disease is rare in your area then you are more likely to take the 'long year' option.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS