Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What ram to use on ewe lambs?  (Read 5267 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
What ram to use on ewe lambs?
« on: November 19, 2013, 06:31:30 pm »
My ewes went off to the ram three weeks ago. I've got two ewe lambs at home That are HUGE, One is a Suffolk cross and the other is texel cross suffolk. I'm not exactly sure of their weight (just very heavy)  they are a few inches shorter than the ewes so I would say they would be ok to go to the tup.

I've got access to a Suffolk cross ram, would he be ok? I only know of people with commercial breeds :(

What do you lot think?

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: What ram to use on ewe lambs?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 08:17:12 pm »
what's he crossed with?

I wouldn't personally tup them this year - lambing a texel shearing to a texel or suffolk x texel tup is bad enough - but a ewe lamb? Not for me thank you - do you remember the giant turnip story???  Been there done that and don't want to go there again.  We are using a Lleyn on our shearings this year  :fc: :fc:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:22:03 pm »
My ewe lambs all go to an Exlana tup but any maternal breed would be good---this includes the suf x tex x char x mules & the pure charollais ewe lambs---anything over 32kg gets tupped . Almost everything over 36kg at tupping gets in lamb

If lambing ewe lambs the biggest trick is to NOT feed them. Let them have ample grass or fodder until Feb then hold them back until lambing
Most lambing problems can be avoided by feeding correctly

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 08:32:04 pm »
My ewe lambs all go to an Exlana tup but any maternal breed would be good---this includes the suf x tex x char x mules & the pure charollais ewe lambs---anything over 32kg gets tupped . Almost everything over 36kg at tupping gets in lamb

If lambing ewe lambs the biggest trick is to NOT feed them. Let them have ample grass or fodder until Feb then hold them back until lambing

The rams breeding is thought that the dam is a Suffolk cross mule put to a Suffolk. Do you think that would be suitable? They will defo be over 40kg!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 09:14:56 pm »
I would be slightly hesitant to put them to a suffolk. If I was going to use a terminal, Id use a Charolais or a Southdown. If not, something maternal, Easycare, Lleyn, Wilts....

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 09:56:10 pm »
I'm with OldShep and would leave them to lamb as shearlings.  I had a very large charollais x suffolk ewe lamb that I put in lamb this last lambing (first time I have ever had a ewe lamb tupped).  I wouldn't do it again.  It was not so much the issues at actual lambing and she was a great mother, but the teats of ewe lambs are very small and extremely soft and very easily damaged.  My poor ewe lamb had a very badly bitten teat from her overzealous lamb and it was extremely painful for her and stressful for me in trying to ensure that she didn't get mastitis in the one half.  My ewe lambs from this year are being kept well away from any rams!

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 10:20:49 pm »

I would be cautious---better to use a maternal tup/easy lambing tup ---better a small live lamb than a big lamb that causes the ewe problems

The rams breeding is thought that the dam is a Suffolk cross mule put to a Suffolk. Do you think that would be suitable? They will defo be over 40kg!

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 10:39:05 pm »
We have lambed small Texel X ewe lambs to a gigantic Texel. Never had a problem lambing but we have had a couple reject their lambs and other mothering issues.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 03:09:20 pm »
I lambed 3 ewe lambs to a charrolais last year, The lambs themselves were great but 2 out of the 3 had to have assistance and one very very large single ram lamb didnt make it

This year I only tupped shearlings and ewes not ewe lambs

I personally wouldnt use a suffolk as a ewe lamb sire, only time I would lamb ewe lambs now would be if I were scanning and the ewe lambs were tupped to a maternal sire such as lleyn, shetland, easycare types

I have no idea who is having what this year as my pedigree shetland ram broke out and tupped my commercials :( my commercial ram (hampshire down cross charolais) in turn tupped my pedigree shetland ewes

Going to have wilts horn/shetlands, texel mule/shetlands, Hampshire down/shetlands etc etc etc  :roflanim:

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 03:56:11 pm »
We are covering our two goats milk reared orphan lambs with a Hebridean tup, because the other ewes we have are pure Hebridean. The two ewe lambs are texel/mule crosses, so much larger than the Hebs, and so I don't foresee any trouble lambing them.
Previously I have seen mules and mule crosses on one farm tupped as ewe lambs to a Beulah. The sleeker mountain types are easy lambed, hardy enough to be up on their feet and drink quickly, so did really well, but they still have a decent conformation as the Beulah (or Kerry Hill etc) type is a large enough sheep.
It seems to me that ewe lambs may still almost remember being lambs, and seem to be quite maternal, where I have seen plenty lambed at 2 years old that get up and run away from the lambs.
I think if they are well grown, and the ram is a fine headed/shouldered type that will lamb easily and be fit, then covering ewe lambs is OK, but echoing others that best not to overfeed.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 05:59:32 pm »
You need to be very careful about feeding if you're lambing a ewe lamb.  It's not just about weight - she'll still be growing her frame as well as lamb(s).  If you don't get her scanned and feed accordingly you could end up with tiny twins or a huge single.  If anything's going to reject its lamb it's most likely to be a ewe lamb.  Think teenage mother.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS