Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tupping snow  (Read 2328 times)

Graemscifi

• Joined Nov 2013
Tupping snow
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:42:57 am »
Turned my Tupps out yesterday, the 18th, and for the fifth year in a row we have had snow! Its becoming an Almanac type thing"18th Nov, turn out tupps, snow will fall". The boy this year is a big ugly scar faced, torn eared brute with a bad temper and perfect conformation so fingers crossed for big vigerous lambs come april. last year i went elsewhere for a tupp and while he was nice looking if small he threw poor lambs, small backed bad jaws, so back to old supplier, lesson learnt.

So the sheep year starts again, in many ways this is my favorite time, caring for the ewes feeding and the like, pottering away at fencing repairs and dyking etc, anticipating the spring and new life. love the winter, which is just as well as we get so much of it up here. anyhoo must make tea am parched
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:49:34 am by Graemscifi »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Tupping snow
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:19:00 pm »
Good luck with your winter chores.  I bought a very handsome Badger Face ram lamb from a breeder of high repute, left him in with just 8 BF ewes for 3 weeks, and have now put the ewes in with the main Southdown ewe flock and stock ram.  Three have already returned to the ram so it appears the handsome boy may be a dud.  I'm anticipating a very interesting conversation with the breeder if they all return to service!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 05:18:59 pm »
Always worries me that. I have a new woolshedder and Charolais ram, the Charolais being a lamb, put them both in together, but it looks like the Char is out-tupping the woolshedder....wasn't expecting that. Looks like he might do 100 this year - not bad for a lamb....

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 05:33:11 pm »
Steve---His twin brother has served 62 in 11 days, will have to see if they all take

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 08:15:47 pm »
Going to have tupping snow here overnight too apparently.

I sponged for the first time this year. If they all hold, it has gone well to plan. Using the same tup as last year, so should be ok.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 09:11:51 pm »
Steve---His twin brother has served 62 in 11 days, will have to see if they all take

He is in with a mob of 100 along with the woolshedder, was expecting the woolshedder to out-tup him; so was going to move them both onto a late-laming group of a similar number. He has been in 4 days, I haven't counted, but I would say 30-40 with his raddle mark.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS