Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: peg loom weaving  (Read 4581 times)

wallyward

• Joined Mar 2012
peg loom weaving
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:53:42 am »
hi

we keep a few sheep but up to now the wool has been more an inconveniant by product rather than anything else! my wife has recently taken up the idea pf peg loom weaving (think thats right!) and has had a couple of lessons with a kind lady to show her the basics.

she now has a small peg loom of her own and I would like to get her a book to help her learn. so can anyone reccomend a book that is not to technical that will help her in this hobby and perhaps show her some patterns etcetera to follow?

many thanks

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: peg loom weaving
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 05:18:15 pm »
i just did a search on you tube and just made it up as I went along!  Mind you its not finished yet (i'm great at starting things and rubbish at finishing them off!)
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:19:23 pm »
There isn't much to peg loom rug making so a book on the subject might be a bit thin. I thought myself and had a look at a couple of u tube videos
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

wallyward

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 07:57:32 am »
hi

many thanks for the replies. Fair points as she has told me its fairly easy but just thought a book could be another stocking filler for xmas. Oh well back to the drawing board!

thanks

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 02:17:56 pm »
I have a small pegloom ..... had it for about 2 years  ::)  but determined to have a go soon. It's only small and really I'm waiting for a big one. Not sure what I would do with a small piece of looming  ??? .

Some of my rag rugging books include a section on peg looming. Maybe your OH would like to take up rag rugging too if she got a book about it for Chrissie?  ;D

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 05:01:50 pm »
Not sure what I would do with a small piece of looming  ??? 

Make a few and sew them together? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 05:09:47 pm »
I am just in the process of making my own peg loom. Cost so far: £2.00  :thumbsup:

I have been putting small quantities of fleece in a laundry bag and then on the cold wash in the machine which cleans them up really nicely without felting them.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 06:56:41 pm »
Mmmm .... yes, could sew them together or maybe a bag? Must get creative.

Being a bit lazy. Taught myself how to crochet granny squares and it's so easy just to pick up and do at night ...... rather than think.

SQ .... well done. Asked OH and son to make a big loom but there always seems something else to do.  About £40 to buy I think. Not good on woodworking skills  :dunce: . Maybe I could try  :-\ . We have a pillar drill .... guess that could be useful.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 07:24:34 pm »
. Maybe I could try  :-\ . We have a pillar drill .... guess that could be useful.
Yes - next job is to mend my pillar drill so I can drill the holes in the dowel rods and the base.

The pulley belt tensioner has become defunct so need to buy a set of curclip pliers to get the middle pulley off. What a shame  :innocent: :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 05:16:11 pm »
 ??? ??? ??? ???  I didn't understand a word of that last post.  Well, only The, belt, has, become, so, need, to buy, and a couple of 'of's. Don;t worry about explaining. I probably still wouldn't understand.  :dunce: :dunce:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 05:17:13 pm »
hi

we keep a few sheep but up to now the wool has been more an inconveniant by product rather than anything else!
I compost a lot of mine and they go down beautifully. I am hoping that some of the fibres persist and deter the slugs

Apologies MGoM….. machine broken. Need to BUY NEW TOOL so I can fix it and make rest of peg loom  :excited: :excited:

New tool arrived in post this morning so I have fixed said machine and acquired new tool in the process (great excuse!!). Have down a dummy run on drilling holes for the dowel and it's going to work beautifully  :excited: :fc:

Now have an excuse to buy drum carding machine  :excited: :excited:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:24:18 pm by suziequeue »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS