Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Legal slaughter ages  (Read 1844 times)

sheepish_too

• Joined Jul 2010
Legal slaughter ages
« on: November 30, 2013, 03:02:13 pm »
Thinking of getting a few dexter steers for beef. I know ideally they'll go for slaughter at 24-30 months. What are the implications, welfare, taste and legal, or leaving them longer. Say 36-42 months? I think BSE testing on slaughter is now only after 72 months, and SRM has to be removed after 30? But have seen mentioned that need to be part of an assurance scheme for 30+ plus cattle to be slaughtered for food chain. Anyone got anything definitive?

Thanks

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Legal slaughter ages
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 09:11:21 pm »
We slaughter our Shetlands just before the 30m cut-off - mostly because the extra costs (40p/kg boning out) for OTM beasts don't make financial sense in our case.

Also, our nearest slaughter house won't do private kills for OTM beasts. The next closest does offer that service, but charges the 40p/kg boning out. We're unsure that any extra growth the beast may put on after 30m would cover those extra costs (boning out, extra travel costs etc). And the beef at 30m is very, very good - it doesn't make sense to keep the steers any longer.

Best see what your local abattoir offers before deciding.

Sue

domsmith

• Joined Aug 2012
  • sanquhar, dumfries and galloway
    • sunnyside farm
Re: Legal slaughter ages
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:19:28 pm »
No problems with slaughter of over 30 months. just check your local abattoir does it. beef only gets better. dont rush your beef. its a balance of cost and ease that makes us slaughter younger. but i am eating a 36 month cow now. infact just done roast beef and yorkshire puds. taste is amazing!
had rump steaks from her on friday and it was one of the best steaks i have ever eaten. as tender as sirloin.

but for ease and hanging on the bone most people will slaighter under 30.

best beef i ever had was off an 8 year old.

by the way i am talking about dexters

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS