Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tupping!  (Read 2664 times)

SheepMad95

• Joined Sep 2012
Tupping!
« on: November 18, 2013, 06:34:52 pm »
Hi all :)

I put my two rams in with my ewes on the 3rd of November.
I was going to put some raddle on them but it the end I didn't. I've now decided to put some raddle on them, so I know if the ewes have caught or not.

But my question is, when should I put it on? I've been told 10 days or 3 weeks? Too late for ten days now it know but is 3 weeks after right?

3rd generation, blonde scattered brained farmer. 1 jack russel x patterdale, 1 collie, 5 chickens, 6 cats, 63 breeding ewes & 5 cows. hopefully some pigs soon!!  working on fathers beef and arable farm. and relief milker!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Tupping!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 07:07:42 pm »
Chances are you won't know. Our tup went in on the 3rd as well and he's tupped them all. We changed the raddle today. If you put the raddle on now, if they don't get marked, they're either pregnant or not cycling or your tup isn't working. You might get a few stragglers marked right enough.

SheepMad95

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 09:13:28 am »
Ok thank you! Seen as I have bought they raddle I will still put it on them, at least then i will know if they are pregnant/cycling again etc :) thanks
3rd generation, blonde scattered brained farmer. 1 jack russel x patterdale, 1 collie, 5 chickens, 6 cats, 63 breeding ewes & 5 cows. hopefully some pigs soon!!  working on fathers beef and arable farm. and relief milker!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 09:54:26 am »
It's 17 days, as the ewe's cycle is 17 days.

So if you raddle him today, he might just catch a ewe or two today and tomorrow who had just finished when he went in, which would tell you he is working. 

If he raddles any more after tomorrow, it may mean they weren't cycling or haven't held.  If he raddles many or most, chances are he has been firing blanks.

However if he doesn't raddle anything it may mean they all got caught and have held, or that he is not working at all.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS