Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sweetcorn - how do you know when it's ready?  (Read 2856 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
sweetcorn - how do you know when it's ready?
« on: August 21, 2009, 12:21:15 pm »
i've about 5 or 6 cobs on my sweetcorn plants.

i'm having a BBQ tomorrow and want to try fresh sweetcorn straight off the plant, onto the bbq and into my tummy!! but how do i know if my sweetcorn is ready?

rustyme

Re: sweetcorn - how do you know when it's ready?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 03:02:10 pm »
your corn should be ready about 3-4 days after the silk at the top goes brown ......if you peel back back the husk and pop a kernal with your finger nail , if it is thick and milky ...you have waited too long .....the corn should be plump and when popped the milky stuff should be sort of see through/cloudy ...a few days over won't make too much difference , it just may not be as sweet as it could be, if left too long.   Hope that makes sense ??

cheers

Russ

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 03:06:17 pm »
 The tassels at the end should be turning brown when it starts to ripen.
If you gently peel back the husks, and look at the corn - it should be nice and yellow and quite big. If you dig your nail into a corn, the liquid should be slightly milky.

Enjoy!

(I'm a very slow typist - Russ beat me to it!!)

Little Blue

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 03:13:27 pm »
well, the silks coming out the end were brown (a bit beyond that actually)

anyway, pulled one off and unwrapped it - took a wee while

half of it looked like sweetcorn, but the half towards the tip was under developed.

overall - wouldn't say it was an edible specimen!! there are several more though where th esilks are still white, so i'll keep an eye on them and hopefully they'll come good.

thanks

aparker155

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 04:17:28 pm »

I had my first successful corncob this year - it was quite white (as opposed to yellow) but it tasted nice anyway!!  :D

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 04:26:09 pm »
1st time in this house for sweetcorn here not great high but the male parts have formed can't see any femail cobs yet but i was a bit late putting them in and they do have to compete with the squash underneath them

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS