Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Well it passed and is now for sale  (Read 2482 times)

donny

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Weymouth, Dorset
  • Do you know this breed??
Well it passed and is now for sale
« on: August 21, 2009, 11:49:12 am »
Hi all

Remember me telling you off the problems I was having with my incubator, mains failiure, grankids turning the plugs off and even when the power supply unit failed. I designed a gadget for my own use which monitored the mains and if it failed went to battery backup. This is designed for the polystyrene type incubator or any that work from 12v at less then 2 amps.

Well I built it and tested it for about a month, have 2 young ducklings atlast as well. It went for CE testing and got cleared for that. I had a few people show interest in buying the device, so, I built a full sellable product and it is now on ebay.

Item: 140340955627

If anyone on here would like one, I will offer a substantial discount.

Thanks

Don

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Well it passed and is now for sale
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 05:50:29 pm »

Nice one Donny!

Incubators are quite niche market though, so I'm thinking the key to this succeeding as a business venture is to find other applications for it.

So, who else would need an uninterruptable power supply for something that runs at 12V, and usually off the mains..... anyone?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

donny

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Weymouth, Dorset
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 06:32:06 pm »
Well thanks for your comments.

I have been thinking about it and really anything that uses upto 12v at 2 amps max would have a use for this. Things like low voltage lighting or drive way lighting. Its not the only item I have in my bag at the moment, I have also make an egg turner for the same incubator, now you only have to open the polystyrene box for candling the eggs or removing the chicks.

This is being made as we speakout of nice pine wood, as the prototype was a horrible upvc plastic, but it worked.

Don

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 11:11:00 pm »
My grand-daughter is always telling us that she is going to be an inventor when we ask what she wants to do when she grows up.  She is 10!  She was trying one of her inventions out on Sandy yesterday.  So far they are only at the blueprint stage, goodness knows what it'll be like when she starts science classes at school!  If you hear reports of a private school in Central Scotland blowing up you'll know she's been practising ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

donny

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Weymouth, Dorset
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 11:36:39 am »
LOL, BLESS HER, desperation forced me to do something. Bad humidity was the biggest cause, i lost nearly 35 eggs in all.
The humidity has been cured with a manual egg turner i also designed and used along with the battery unit, i had 100% hatch, first time ever. has to say something about it..

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 03:21:10 pm »
Beth took up on my comment that I was late going out to let the kennel dogs out - an urgent phone call to be dealt with - and said they'd be starving.  So she devised an automatic feeder controlled by an alarm clock that would switch off if I got out in time but would feed them if I didn't
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

donny

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Weymouth, Dorset
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 10:37:45 am »
Fantastic, obviously a very clever minded girl, its the simple ideas that make life so much easier and lets face it, without peoples crazy ideas and inventions then we wouldnt even have a microwave.

Donny

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 01:24:05 pm »
AND she's only 10!!!  But it is just on paper - another few years and I reckon she'll be making her inventions ;D  Just hope I'm around to see them in action (and maybe reap some of the spin offs  ;))

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS