Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: customers shouldn't have to be assertive  (Read 3343 times)

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
customers shouldn't have to be assertive
« on: November 26, 2013, 06:22:38 pm »
I sometimes read the personal finance/consumer rights section of the newspaper. The conclusion I draw from this is that the customer should read the small print. I also sometimes feel annoyed that some customers seem to profit from moaning about being caught out - ie as a goodwill gesture the company will refund a charge. Surely people realise that companies are not there for the customers' benefit - their purpose is to make money for the business owner.

But.....

A few weeks ago I had to go to Kent for the day for a funeral. I booked a hire car from Gatwick for the 70 mile round trip into darkest Kent. The advertised price of 8am - 8pm hire was £35. A few days ago I got an invoice for another £50. They'd charged me for petrol (I'd returned the vehicle with a full tank) and a London congestion charge. I have a really poor record on challenging this sort of thing. What evidence did I have? But I barely had to explain how these charges were not valid when the call centre operative immediately proceeded to remove them and reimburse my current account.

They must be blatantly adding these charges in the hope that customers won't notice. It makes me so mad.

The company was Avis, btw.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: customers shouldn't have to be assertive
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 06:28:00 pm »
I know exactly what you mean. Just this week I received my renewal for the AA, £93.85. I rang them and said I was leaving as it was too dear. They said I can have a special offer with the same cover for £75.00 ????
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 07:00:53 pm »
I am sure the whole world isnt really on the take but god it feels like it so often. Possibly look at the past with rose tinted specs but I'm sure it wasn't always like this

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 09:29:02 pm »
I know exactly what you mean. Just this week I received my renewal for the AA, £93.85. I rang them and said I was leaving as it was too dear. They said I can have a special offer with the same cover for £75.00 ??? ?

loyalty to the AA will cost you - you have to leave them for a year they you can get recovery for £40 -50 as a new customer IIRC - I expect most other companies are the same - being loyal to any company costs more than switching nowadays.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 09:35:27 pm »
and don't get me started on renewing insurance...

new company every year as the renewals team can't match the new business offers!!!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 09:40:46 pm »
My phone contract runs out on 24th Dec, if I cancel before that date I pay a price for fees etc but now I have to make sure another company can take over my phone the same day it goes off, as, I rely on the phone at Christmas time especially...what a time to end a contract. I am  very peed off about it.
It pays to be assertive but pays more to use the correct words when being assertive other wise you get know where! ::)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 10:42:17 pm »
We shouldn't have to be assertive but the days when the customer was always right are sadly long gone.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 05:14:17 am »
A couple of days ago I rang British Gas with a query about the renewal offer they had sent us.  Without prompting they offered me a significantly better rate - less than half the standing charge and about 10% less on the unit cost.

Yesterday I rang BT for information about broadband options - just researching at this point.  Turns out the price plan we are on for our calls isn't the best for us, we are now on a different option that is cheaper per month and will save us buckets on calls.

So I doubt if I will ever just renew without phoning up again... and if we all do that, they'll have to change their ways as it'll cost them far too much in administration and call centre staff  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 05:42:27 am »
I had a complete nightmare with British gas before we moved here. Then we came here, where the gas is ready for when the oil boiler breaks but not connected yet, so we don't have gas at all. They tried charging us a standing charge for it, and when OH rang and complained the guy said I see your point, I'll switch you on to a tariff with No standing charge. Goes away and comes back only to say they don't do one so his advice is to change supplier.

There is just no common sense any more.

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 07:31:08 am »

loyalty to the AA will cost you - you have to leave them for a year they you can get recovery for £40 -50 as a new customer IIRC - I expect most other companies are the same - being loyal to any company costs more than switching nowadays.

we alternate each year as to who takes out subscriptions, insures things etc ... that way each year we get the introductory rate or the freebie ... nice bottle of malt every year from one magazine  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS