Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quail Eggs  (Read 3180 times)

Tania

• Joined Sep 2011
Quail Eggs
« on: November 15, 2013, 07:19:51 pm »
I am looking to purchase about 24 dozen unfertilised quail eggs. Does anyone out there sell or know of anyone that does sell this quantity. I have emailed a couple of people I found on the internet but have had no response. I live near Canterbury Kent but would be willing to pay postage/delivery costs, if the eggs were to come from too far away. (if reasonable). 
Many thanks :fc: :fc:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Quail Eggs
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 07:59:47 pm »
Quail, in my (admittedly limited) experience, won't really be laying now .... mine gave up early October!

you may have to hang on til Spring :)
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 09:25:54 pm »
I only have a trio but my ladies are only laying sporadically.  As LB says no more till Spring.  :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 11:18:14 pm »
No use to you at all (neighbour had quail but managed to kill them all) but interested because you're only just down the road, I think! Also, why must they be unfertilised? I've chickens, ducks and geese and the chickens and ducks are still laying, albeit slowing, so you may have more joy with quail around here and across the channel than in most of the UK - I get the impression our season lasts longer than most of the UK.

H

Tania

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 06:43:19 am »
Thank you for your replies - The reason I asked for unfertilised was because they are for eating and not for hatching but  I have to admit I hadn't thought about quail not laying at the moment as I have in past years always been ableto source them at a local animal feed suppliers (though admittedly not this sort of number). Unfortunately the old chap that used to supply them has since died. They are also sold at a nearby farm shop but at what I feel is an extortionate price!! Perhaps I'll get my own quail next year!

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 08:50:00 am »
Fertilised eggs are perfectly fine to eat. They do not begin to develop unless you incubate them. I have quail but, like the others, mine have pretty much stopped laying now I'm afraid!

I'd recommend getting some of your own if you have a mind to, they are lovely birds.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 12:53:24 pm »
A lot of breeders will be getting them redey for christmas they make a good christmas meal

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 01:17:17 pm »
I think every egg I eat is probably fertile - judging by the efforts of the cockerels and drakes - and not a problem.

H

Tania

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 04:58:55 pm »
Its not that I mind eating fertilised eggs, my chicken eggs too are probably mainly fertile, I really just wanted to differentiate between wantings eggs to breed from and wanting eggs to eat. I usually pickle some for Christmas - looks like I will have to pay for the expensive foreign eggs at the Farm Shop if I want to do it this year!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 06:54:31 pm »
Its not that I mind eating fertilised eggs, my chicken eggs too are probably mainly fertile, I really just wanted to differentiate between wantings eggs to breed from and wanting eggs to eat. I usually pickle some for Christmas - looks like I will have to pay for the expensive foreign eggs at the Farm Shop if I want to do it this year!
And think ahead for next year. :innocent:  Around July/ August would be good, you can pickle them then and they'll keep
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS