Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planting A New Hedge  (Read 3141 times)

Wendelspanswick

• Joined Nov 2013
Planting A New Hedge
« on: November 15, 2013, 06:55:34 pm »
Hello to you all.  Just joined the forum and straight in with a question.
We have 15 acres of woodland and meadow and we want to plant a hedge across the meadow, about 200m in length, mainly to keep walkers on the footpath and not traipsing willy nilly across the land.
A few questions:
Anyone have a cheap source for rabbit spirals?
How to keep deer off the young hedge?
We are planning to put a stock fence up on one side of the new hedge but we don't want to put up a fence on both sides if we can help it.
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:58:52 pm by Wendelspanswick »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Planting A New Hedge
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 07:27:49 pm »
If you're putting a fence up anyway then why bother with the hedge...it's expense and extra work to manage?
Obviously it depends on land, aspect circumstances etc but I'd shove a line of fruit and nut trees well spaced out. Less care, more/nicer eats

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 07:35:51 pm »
I have just got my orders of hedging.I found http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/?gclid=CJP45fvD57oCFc7JtAod_lYAIQ, cheapest for guards and canes, but http://www.hedgenursery.co.uk/?gclid=CNCt0aXE57oCFRSWtAod6RUAoQ were better value for plants and they are very good quality but the order page is a bit rubbish. I am planting my hedge for screening, I have a neighbour that collects junk.

Wendelspanswick

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 08:08:15 pm »
Similar to Honeyend we want the screening benefits of a hedge as well, plus we can get a grant that will cover most or all of the costs of the hedge if we can keep the costs down.
Our biggest concern is keeping the Red Deer off.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 08:11:07 pm by Wendelspanswick »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 01:26:21 am »
I've planted about 100yards or more of espaliered fruit trees along one of my internal boundaries...not so good at screening over winter and takes a few years of training.. but once sorted it's easy to manage and eat. The same might apply to grapes if you train them as a double guyot.

Just options 'outside the box'

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS