Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: quality hatching eggs  (Read 3668 times)

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
quality hatching eggs
« on: November 14, 2013, 06:26:45 pm »
Hi all, does anyone out there know a good quality producer of hatching eggs, I am particularly after dark Marran eggs, blue/green eggs and Faverolles. I have tried one or two online sellers but have not received what I expected, this could just be me and I do not expect a hundred per cent hatch rate, but some of what I have received seem to have a dubious provenance!  :innocent:
Heather

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Re: quality hatching eggs
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:29:54 pm »
Wait till spring you will not get great rates of hatching at this time of the year

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 07:02:55 pm »
I agree.  It wouldn't be sensible for eggs to hatch naturally at this time of year.  Too cold!  Fertility drops with shortening days - hens can't eat enough in the short winter days to keep warm and produce eggs.  Commercial hens only do so because they have artificial lighting available to extend their "day" to 14 hours.  Laying and fertility will increase once days lengthen towards the end of March. I don't give my breeding hens any additional light and don't set the incubator until April.  The weather will then normally be warm enough for the first batch of chicks to go outside, under good cover, once they're three weeks old.

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:09:52 pm »
Not planning to get them now but just doing some homework. Thanks for your advice.  :wave:
Heather

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:59:10 pm »
Hi all, does anyone out there know a good quality producer of hatching eggs, I am particularly after dark Marran eggs, blue/green eggs and Faverolles. I have tried one or two online sellers but have not received what I expected, this could just be me and I do not expect a hundred per cent hatch rate, but some of what I have received seem to have a dubious provenance!  :innocent:

It might be better to buy in a cockerel and three unrelated hens as well as an incubator or half a dozen bantam hens and do your own bloodlines .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 09:28:27 pm »
I hatched Marans and Araucanas from http://www.southyeofarm.co.uk/poultry/ this season. I only got four eggs of each and managed to chip one of the Marans getting it out of the packaging but the other three Marans were all fertile and hatched. Broody mum stood on one but I've got a beautiful pair now. Of the four Araucana eggs, two were fertile and hatched although one was weak and the cat got it when I brought it inside for TLC. The other is a hen who's looking good now. They also do Cream Legbars and Salmon Faverolles so they could be your answer. Like the others have said now is not the time but I'm sure Gillian can reserve some for you - she'll make sure her pens are producing fertile eggs before starting to send them out.

H

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 09:36:13 am »
Agree, we've had good eggs from South Yeo.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 09:23:30 am »
Hi MadChickenLady, don't know about top quality but we have two small flocks, French Copper Black Marans and Cream Legbar. If you wanted you could have half a doz of each to test out the fertility FOC when they come into lay in the Spring. Not a million miles away from you I believe, we are in the village of Norton just up the A14.

Regards Zac

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 10:28:21 am »
Do you post eggs Zac? We plan to do lots of Copper Blacks next year as we have a couple good cockerels so need some unrelated hens.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 11:48:27 am »
Do you post eggs Zac? We plan to do lots of Copper Blacks next year as we have a couple good cockerels so need some unrelated hens.
Sorry Stereo no. Just keep as an interest/hobby and sell off surplus locally. If you are ever around this area more than happy to put some by though. (assuming all is well in the spring)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 12:44:15 pm »
Thanks anyway, I'm way down in Devon so not likely to be passing any time soon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS