Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Giving Blood  (Read 4004 times)

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
Giving Blood
« on: August 20, 2009, 01:43:09 pm »
I have always given blood, but due to work, moving etc I haven't had time.  So today I thought I would sort out when to go. 
It's really good in Ireland you complete a small 'yes' 'no' questionnaire before you attend to make it quicker. 
So I began answering the questions - age, weight, blood transfusions - the usual. 
Then it asked me if I resided, or had long holiday in the UK between 1986 and 2002? 
Now I used to be asked if I had been to any place in Africa due to HIV, so this was unusual.
I'm English and have only lived in Ireland 3 years, so I said 'yes'

And this came up!!

Unfortunately, because of the risk of variant CJD you are unable to give blood.

I am shocked!
I am told there is a great shortage of blood over here
I don't even eat beef.
What does everyone else think?

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: Giving Blood
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 02:18:22 pm »
Probably why there's a great shortage of blood!!

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 03:05:44 pm »
Must be an Irish thing. Dan gave blood here last night and had no such problem.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 03:14:15 pm »
Unlike  the UK, countries like France and probably Ireland have been very reluctant and secretive about incidents of mad cow disease in their national herds. Of course, they've had it and still probably got it but then a great deal of money is involved.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 03:44:49 pm »
If you lived in UK during those dates you cant give blood in France.

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 04:17:50 pm »
there is a big thing going on about this now . During the BSE crisis some 50 million people in England were exposed to it . The human form , CJD then became a problem and they have no idea how many people have it . So far 194 people have officially died of it , but anything upto the full 50 million could be infected with it . It is a ticking time bomb waiting to go BANG  !!! It could be that only a very small % have it ..it could be worse ....50 million worse....  They are trying to get a check for it at post mortem now ... but the people that carry these out are saying they need more money to do so  !!! Once again down to ££££ Oh and I grew up eating sausages , beefburgers and all the cheap joints of meat  !!! Plus in 1983 I had a car smash and had about 11 pints of blood pumped in ... I was leaking from everywhere....I had my blood checked years after for AIDS ...just in case.... all clear .. phew...as soon as they have a test for CJD I will have one of those too...

cheers

Russ

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 05:16:56 pm »
 I am shocked that there is no test for BSE. It's funny how we can always find money for wars but not research?

rustyme

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 05:20:54 pm »
there is a test for it .... you just have to be dead for them to do it ... ::)
  Totally agree about the money for wars thing though ...

cheers

Russ

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 06:44:52 pm »
 ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D  Mad Cows  ;D ;D

Both my close friend in the UK who is a Doctor, and myself, are convinced that I
have M.E., and have had it for years.

My doctor said its not possible to say that I have M.E.,
because there is not blood test, or other medical test to prove that I have it - so she will
not treat me for it or pass me onto some other professional until there is a test -
even though I show all the long term symptoms and nothing has ever made me better.!!

I will probably die - then the next day,
they will have come up with a test for M.E. too - ;D ;D ;D

Julie

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 08:12:14 pm »
Having given my 'armful' of blood today (good old Hancock - how old are you?!)  I can tell you they dont ask anything about vCJD risks here in England.  As always they are desperate for stocks of blood but are imposing things that prevent many from being able to donate. Eg my friend's husband cant drive his lorry within 24 hours, I missed the last session cos I'd been to the dentist (if you knew how hard it is to get an appointment at my dentist!) another friend has just got back from Mexico. . . the list could go on
Little Blue

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 09:00:40 pm »
go to Germany, they even pay you to give blood (topped up my pocket money this way). Can't guarantee about any questionaires though, I've been away a while... :&>

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 06:24:11 am »
I'm pretty sure that I've seen a question about CJD the last few times that I've given blood.

Most of the modern countries in the world have had or have BSE in their herds and are just as much at risk of CJD as the UK.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS