Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help with turkey breeds please!  (Read 1939 times)

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
Help with turkey breeds please!
« on: August 20, 2009, 12:51:49 pm »
Hi ! Just wanted to ask if anyone has turkeys? I'm new to them, and wasn't too chuffed when my hub came home with 6 eggs which he put under a broody Orpington - we have enough to be getting on with poultry-wise. Anyway ....... all 6 hatched out . I have now fallen in love with them in a big way. What brilliant birds!! They are highly sociable - sit in the garden with me - listen to my guitar playing ..... They are getting pretty big now, and we can just about determine gender - one of them is doing the classic turkey stance with his tail feathers fanned out and neck curved down. Just wondered about breeds. There is one black one, 2 white with black splodges on the back, 2 buff coloured and one gorgeous one with very similar feathers to a gold laced brahma chook. Does anyone know what they are??? I'm told the black one is a Norfolk. Lucky for him he's nowhere near Bernard Matthews.
Ps I am aware that turkeys shouldn't be kept near chickens. The Orpington is back with the chickens ( we did that asap ) and the turkeys live in their own little paddock.
Thanks for listening x

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Help with turkey breeds please!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 11:43:20 pm »
Hi ya!! I been away all week, I'm certainly no expert on turkeys but willl do my best!! firstly the one doing the 'dance' is obviously a cock! as for breeds can you post a picture?? The black one could be a norfolk or a bronze?? do you care? are you gonna eat them or are they all pets? and yes turkeys are great entertainment, how old are they?  are they kept with chickens or or ground previously used by chickens? do you know about blackhead? have to ask

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 12:06:34 am »
http://www.turkeyclub.org.uk/

Have  lots of info on breeds and breed standards

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 02:43:25 pm »
Thanks for replying. They are about 3 months old now and appear to be very strong and happy. The idea was to have one for ourselves at xmas and the others for family. Weirdly enough, although I eat our own geese, chicken, beef and pork I am feeling less than happy about eating the turkeys because they have really taken a shine to me and it's starting to feel like they are pets rather than livestock. Horrible problem..
Thanks Dixie I do know about blackhead and they are separated from my other poultry and are not on ground previously used by chickens.
And Smiffy, thanks for that web address. I'll have a look. I do want to know what they are. Am trying to get my wires sorted out and might be able to post pic for id purposes. Cheers me dears x

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 10:37:17 pm »
If they are stags you will have to eat them if more than one i'm afraid ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS