Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Maran cockerel  (Read 1509 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Maran cockerel
« on: November 13, 2013, 12:06:46 pm »
I was lucky enough to get 4 young poults from darkbrowneggs' recent dispersal, when Bloomer brought them north.  I bought 2 Cream Legbars and 2 black Marans.   They have been growing superbly with their broodie mum still in attendance and are free range.
Yesterday we heard a rather strangled sound from the orchard and wondered whatever it could be.  It slowly resolved itself into a sort of crowing.  Oh no, we thought, the buzzard's caught Napoleon (our Scots Grey cock).  But then we heard him crow, his usual confident self.
So then we knew that one of the newbies must be a cockerel.  We had had our suspicions for a week or two, but this was confirmation that the rather striking Black Maran 'hen' was in fact male.

I can't keep him because of Napoleon so I have put him for sale in 'Marketplace'.  I hope someone can take advantage of him as he is of top breeding, from a strain of very dark egg producers.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Maran cockerel
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 02:24:30 pm »
I've still got my cuckoo Marans cockerel for sale on preloved. He's ruling a pen of boys at the moment and husband is keen to keep him because 'he looks like a proper cockerel' (I much prefer my magnificent if slightly fluffier Orps) but I'm not really intending to breed from him. Had some lovely lady booked to come and see him last week who never showed up and has not replied to my 'are you still interested?' messages so he may still end up in the pot  :(.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 03:43:02 pm »
the boy marans are very good at avoiding early detection of the 4 marans i have left from the batch i brought up 2 are looking very boyish and 1 started this weekend to make strangled cockadoodledoos...

such a shame...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 04:05:57 pm »
I hope we don't have to end up eating him  :o    If he gets on ok with Napoleon we could keep him and get some nice young hens from him  :chook: :chook: .   Do you think that crosses from breeds such as Black rock, Buff Maran, Welsummer, etc, which already lay brown or brownish eggs, would improve the egg colour from his input?   As you can tell, I'm not very well up on chook breeding.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS