Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orf  (Read 1416 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Orf
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:32:13 am »
My new tup has orf, what could I treat it with and how long should I keep him away from his ladies?
Anne

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Orf
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 11:43:27 am »
See thread below about swollen lips... no point keeping him away from the girls, they will get it anyway at some point as he is a carrier. Orf is really a nuisance more than a real worry. Drying out the scabs to help healing is the best you can do - purple spray or sudocream.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:47:35 am »
there is an existing thread- "Sheep with swollen lips" with lots of Orf related advice. We used 5% iodine (no stronger !!) till sores dried up (though some just use purple spray)and then if it was cracking and dry put a bit of sudocrem on. Only really need expensive blue antibiotic spray to treat any secondary infection. I would think that he needs to not be with the girls until its healed up. some of ours took just a few days but others took a few weeks. Very easy to pass around and real risk of it passing to vulvas and on to his penis which you really want to avoid- though if he's been with them already then prob too late to avoid it

Graemscifi

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 05:54:39 pm »
did he come in with active orf? cos if so i would consider taking it up with your supplier, they sould not be selling you an obviously sick animal. if he is in to see to your ewes he could well have had his fertility affected by being unwell. i would consult vet on this one

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 06:56:38 pm »
did he come in with active orf? cos if so i would consider taking it up with your supplier, they sould not be selling you an obviously sick animal. if he is in to see to your ewes he could well have had his fertility affected by being unwell. i would consult vet on this one
He was fine when he arrived it is entirely my fault as I borrowed another tup to keep him company and while it didn't have any sights of orf it is probably a carrier.
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS